What is a good substitute for pumpkin pie spice in a pumpkin dip recipe?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary: I omit it from my pumpkin pies and everyone always says I make the best and want the recipe. :biggrin: In summary, the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, and 1/8 tsp of ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp of ground ginger. Zz. found everything else except for the pumpkin pie spice, which is cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Better to buy the store-brand version of the spice and omit the ginger snaps.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been tasked to make this for a party I'm going to tomorrow:

2 8oz packages cream cheese (At room temp)

1 lb. powdered sugar

½ tsp. cinnamon (or more to taste)

¼ tsp. nutmeg (or more to taste)

¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Pinch Ground Cloves

1 Large Can Pumpkin (29oz.) DO NOT USE PIE FILLING

2 boxes ginger snaps

Using hand mixer, mix cream cheese and sugar first and then add in other ingredients. Chill well and serve in bowl. Use Ginger Snaps to Dip. Better if made the day before so flavors can blend.

I found everything except for the "pumpkin pie spice". Anyone have any idea what's in that? Can I do without and just add some more cinnamon and nutmeg? Should I run out to the store and grab something else? (I hope not... spices are freaking expensive)

Le Help the cooking newbie, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the recipe, I think pumpin pie spice is cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Don't ask me about the proportions, though.

However, I don't think there would be any complaints if you only get the first two.

Zz.

Proportions according to google (Yeah, I googled for ya)

1. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a small bowl or cup.

2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.

3. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice or ground cloves.

4. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.

5. Stir to blend.

ok... you think I should just try mashing up some of the ginger snaps and put them in there for the ginger, or just wing it and hope for the best?

Zz is correct. I personally do not like cloves and omit it from my pumpkin pies and everyone always says I make the best and want the recipe. :biggrin:

Pumpkin Pie spice

1. Measure 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon into a small bowl or cup.

2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger.

3. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice.

4. Add 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.

5. Stir to blend.

looks like pattylou and I googled the same site

Last edited:
enigma said:
ok... you think I should just try mashing up some of the ginger snaps and put them in there for the ginger, or just wing it and hope for the best?
NOOOOOOOO, you must buy powdered ginger, do not use whole or crystalized either. :yuck: Buy the store brand spice, it's cheaper. The cookies will make a nasty paste out of your dip.

:grumpy: men :grumpy:

.. and just to add a relevant point, try as best as you can to use whole nutmeg and grate it when you need it. There is a whole world of difference between freshly grated nutmeg and pre-ground nutmeg that you buy in those over-priced bottles.

Zz. [who adds freshly-grated nutmeg and cinnamon into his hot chocolate]

Evo said:

Hey now!

At least I'm trying :frown:

enigma said:
Hey now!
At least I'm trying :frown:
True, you did ask for help. :smile:

Zz seems to be a gourmet cook. :approve: :!)

In my favoritest pumpkin pie recipe, the spices I use are:
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger

So, by comparing my recipe with pattylou's, you'll see the ratios can vary, but the basic ingredients are the same.

It seems redundant to have cinnamon and nutmeg in a recipe along with pumpkin pie spice, which also has cinnamon and nutmeg.

Sounds like a yummy recipe! I'm only a 3 hour drive away now...gonna bring me some? :biggrin: :tongue2:

Evo said:

HEY! I resemble that remark!

:)

Zz.

I think I'm going to skip the ginger... the guests are going to be eating the stuff with ginger cookies. It would only be a pinch that the recipe needs anyway. It only calls for 1/4 tsp of the pie spice anyway.

ZapperZ said:
.. and just to add a relevant point, try as best as you can to use whole nutmeg and grate it when you need it. There is a whole world of difference between freshly grated nutmeg and pre-ground nutmeg that you buy in those over-priced bottles.

Zz. [who adds freshly-grated nutmeg and cinnamon into his hot chocolate]
Do you have one of those nutmeg graters like Alton Brown that stores the whole nutmeg in the top?

Moonbear said:
Sounds like a yummy recipe! I'm only a 3 hour drive away now...gonna bring me some? :biggrin: :tongue2:

It's a poker party with whopping $5 per player winnings. Even if you came down and cleaned house, I don't think it would cover the gas.

enigma said:
I think I'm going to skip the ginger... the guests are going to be eating the stuff with ginger cookies. It would only be a pinch that the recipe needs anyway. It only calls for 1/4 tsp of the pie spice anyway.

Ok, increase the cinnamon and look innocent tomorrow. Do you have nutmeg?

Like Evo, I don't care much for cloves. The original recipe called for 1/4 tsp of those, and I reduced it to 1/8. It didn't taste quite right without, but the full 1/4 tsp was way too much for my taste.

You'll find all the ingredients in the grocery store spice section.

ZZ, nutmeg in hot chocolate? I like cinnamon, never tried nutmeg. *looks around for cocoa*

Evo said:
Ok, increase the cinnamon and look innocent tomorrow. Do you have nutmeg?

Yar. I spent about $15 on three spices I'm probably going to use once.

enigma said:
It's a poker party with whopping $5 per player winnings. Even if you came down and cleaned house, I don't think it would cover the gas.
:grumpy: Fine, be that way. I have to work anyway. :tongue:

Evo said:
Do you have one of those nutmeg graters like Alton Brown that stores the whole nutmeg in the top?

No, I actually use a planar grater. Alton always says to buy a "multi-purpose" kitchen utensil, and that's what I did. I also use it to grate cheese (parmigiano-reggiano, of course). I like to grate it right at the dinner table in front of everyone - the cheese falls like rain on top of the pasta. It makes for a very dramatic presentation. See, it's all about the drama, don't you know?

Zz.

enigma said:
Good lord! They don't have those little 99 cent generic spices where you live?

enigma said:
Oh, no you won't. Once you have them and know what you can do with them, you'll use them again. With egg, cream, pumpkin and those spices, you can make your own pumpkin pie! And French toast is really yummy if you sprinkle on some cinnamon or nutmeg (or both) before cooking it. :approve:

Oh fer crying...

The house doesn't own a hand-beater...

So it's either a blender (which even _I'M_ not stupid enough to try), or I get a workout with the wooden spoon. Think nuking the cream cheese for 5 seconds will help soften it?

Evo said:
Good lord! They don't have those little 99 cent generic spices where you live?

Not in the slum that is College Park, no. The ones I got were the smallest containers available. The generic selection was limited to things like 'poultry spice' and exotic spices such as 'salt' and 'pepper'

enigma said:
Oh fer crying...
The house doesn't own a hand-beater...
So it's either a blender (which even _I'M_ not stupid enough to try), or I get a workout with the wooden spoon. Think nuking the cream cheese for 5 seconds will help soften it?
Yeah, nuke carefully.

You're not faring too well. :frown:

Start with a fork. That will get the cheese softened and worked into the liquids. Then you can finish stirring with a spoon. You don't happen to have a potato masher, do you? That can substitute for stirring in a pinch and should get the mixture smoother than a spoon will.

enigma said:
Not in the slum that is College Park, no. The ones I got were the smallest containers available. The generic selection was limited to things like 'poultry spice' and exotic spices such as 'salt' and 'pepper'
At least you didn't substitute poultry spice for pumpkin spice. :biggrin: That would have raised a few eyebrows.

Moonbear said:
ZZ, nutmeg in hot chocolate? I like cinnamon, never tried nutmeg. *looks around for cocoa*

YES! Try it. Freshly grated nutmeg in hot chocolate makes all the difference. But here's another secret. I also add a fat pinch of paprika or cayene pepper for that slight kick. I also use a molinillo to froth up the hot chocolate. So you'd get a hot, frothy cup - very traditional mexican.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Images/molinillol_oldsm.jpg [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
You're not faring too well. :frown:

Yep. :frown:

This is why I try to limit my cooking suorees to "tuna salad" and "hamburger helper"

ZapperZ said:
YES! Try it. Freshly grated nutmeg in hot chocolate makes all the difference. But here's another secret. I also add a fat pinch of paprika or cayene pepper for that slight kick. I also use a [/i]molinillo[/i] to froth up the hot chocolate. So you'd get a hot, frothy cup - very traditional mexican.
Zz.
That looks so cool!

Moonbear said:
You don't happen to have a potato masher, do you? .

Actually, I think I have something that resembles one of those.

OK. Thanks for the tips. I'm off to see how bad I can eff this up.

ZapperZ said:
No, I actually use a planar grater. Alton always says to buy a "multi-purpose" kitchen utensil, and that's what I did. I also use it to grate cheese (parmigiano-reggiano, of course). I like to grate it right at the dinner table in front of everyone - the cheese falls like rain on top of the pasta. It makes for a very dramatic presentation. See, it's all about the drama, don't you know?
Zz.
<shoves Moonbear out of the way> Zz, we're gettin' hitched! :!)

enigma said:
Good luck enigma!

ZapperZ said:
YES! Try it. Freshly grated nutmeg in hot chocolate makes all the difference. But here's another secret. I also add a fat pinch of paprika or cayene pepper for that slight kick. I also use a molinillo to froth up the hot chocolate. So you'd get a hot, frothy cup - very traditional mexican.

Zz.
Ooh, that looks like some sort of magic wand! Is that your secret for zapping crackpots? :biggrin:

I think I'll start with the nutmeg and gradually work my way up to paprika. :uhh:

enigma said:

<ZapperZ wears a hard hat and takes cover>

Zz.

enigma said:
:rofl: Um, I mean, good luck. Let us know how it turns out. Next time you should just invite me and I'll bring the dessert. :biggrin: