Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oklahoma Tornado video

1. May 22, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to wonder why this guy wasn't driving like a bat out of hell in the other direction. I sure would have been.

4. May 22, 2013 #3

Evo

Me too. A few years ago, I had dropped Evo Child off at a friend's and the tornado sirens started. They had a basement, and they were headed down, so I left her there. Driving home on the highway, there were three tornadoes in a row touched down, but miles away on the horizon. That was still too close for me. The tornadoes were in open fields, so only a couple of barns were damaged, but as more and more land is developed, more people end up with homes in what used to be open fields.

5. May 22, 2013 #4
    Really is amazing how it develops in just a few minutes

6. May 22, 2013 #5

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think the tornado was moving across his field of vision.

7. May 22, 2013 #6

Evo

Uhm...yeah...but tornadoes are notorious for changing direction. So, I don't get your point. What he did was extremely dangerous. People shouldn't try that.

8. May 22, 2013 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

He rationalized he was OK. He repositioned the car a few times somewhat ahead and to the side of the path. Did he take a risk? Certainly.

The Weather Channel often shows 'storm/tornado chasers'. Most people shouldn't do that, but I think some are savvy enough to be responsible, especially if they monitor with radar and proper information.

9. May 22, 2013 #8

reenmachine

Gold Member

Great video! Tornadoes are scary , I don't know how you guys in the tornado valley can live there with storms like this.

10. May 23, 2013 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Us storm chasers never drive away from storm/tornadoes -- its what we live for ;)
    heck my wife and I fly all the way to the USA just to get into the right spot in front of the storm to be able to photo/video it :)

Dave

11. May 23, 2013 #10

Evo

This guy wasn't a storm chaser though, it was a local resident.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/video-moore-tornado-formation-oklahoma-170200551.html

12. May 23, 2013 #11

berkeman

Sounds like you and your wife haven't been reading the small print on the back of the rental car agreement... :smile:

13. May 23, 2013 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was driving around in the same parking lot, that hardly qualifies as staying out of the path of a massive tornado...? The footage is imposing, how the funnel turns brown at some point.. glad I don't have to deal with such storms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook