Old engine oil (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
Well what do you do with it ? i poured mine into a 5 gallon gerry can i found
,rather than take it the 10 miles to the tip, i thought i might find a use for it,
This was shortly after i moved in to my cott, well i got fed up makeing paper
squibs to start the fire with and the cooking oil was getting down, so i rembered the oil, i poured a small amount over the cinders and used some paper to light it, all it did was smoke, so i put some more on and tryed again
the same thing happened, so i thought it needed oxygen, so i started blowing on it, of a sudden i heard a WOOSH, i could not see for a few seconds, but when i could i thought i was in hell, the fire was roaring up the chimney, i could not think what to do other than hope it would die down, well it did, but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.
 

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2,662
7
I pour mine down the drain.





Only joking, I take it to work and tip it into the big oil recycling container thingy.
 

FredGarvin

Science Advisor
5,016
6
wolram said:
Well what do you do with it ? i poured mine into a 5 gallon gerry can i found
,rather than take it the 10 miles to the tip, i thought i might find a use for it,
This was shortly after i moved in to my cott, well i got fed up makeing paper
squibs to start the fire with and the cooking oil was getting down, so i rembered the oil, i poured a small amount over the cinders and used some paper to light it, all it did was smoke, so i put some more on and tryed again
the same thing happened, so i thought it needed oxygen, so i started blowing on it, of a sudden i heard a WOOSH, i could not see for a few seconds, but when i could i thought i was in hell, the fire was roaring up the chimney, i could not think what to do other than hope it would die down, well it did, but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.
That reminds me of something that happened to me during the first gulf war. I'm not gonna share that one (pretty embarassing) but, put it this way, I feel your pain.

Bite the bullet and drive it down to your local quick change oil place. If it's less than a gallon, most places will take it for free.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
FredGarvin said:
That reminds me of something that happened to me during the first gulf war. I'm not gonna share that one (pretty embarassing) but, put it this way, I feel your pain.

Bite the bullet and drive it down to your local quick change oil place. If it's less than a gallon, most places will take it for free.
Come on Fred spill the beans:smile:
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
I did not mention the white ash, where it came from i have no clue, but i was covered in it, it was time for my bi annual bath any way, and pumice is supposed to be good for the skin.
 
A

Art

Guest
wolram said:
I did not mention the white ash, where it came from i have no clue, but i was covered in it, it was time for my bi annual bath any way, and pumice is supposed to be good for the skin.
The white ash probably was your skin :rofl:
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
Art said:
The white ash probably was your skin :rofl:
come to think on it, my face has felt smoother since, what is it them beauty
parlours do depilation or some such?
 

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
4,985
1,004
NOT a good idea, burning. The white ash could be from your cinder pile --- it could also be assorted metal oxides and carbonates from the various additives, Babbitt metal residues, who knows?
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
Bystander said:
NOT a good idea, burning. The white ash could be from your cinder pile --- it could also be assorted metal oxides and carbonates from the various additives, Babbitt metal residues, who knows?
Oh heck, does that mean i need some kind of decontamination?
 

Evo

Mentor
22,447
2,262
I would expect this from tribdog, but not from you Wolram!

Don't you dare blow yourself up before MIH & I get to visit. :grumpy:
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
Evo said:
I would expect this from tribdog, but not from you Wolram!

Don't you dare blow yourself up before MIH & I get to visit. :grumpy:
No way, i would hold myself together with super glue and insulation tape, i do seem, accidenty prone of late, maybe it is a lack of TLC.
 

Bystander

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
4,985
1,004
wolram said:
Oh heck, does that mean i need some kind of decontamination?
Probably not --- it couldn't hurt to check with "the quack" next time you're in for stitches or tetanus shots --- you and Trib really ought to quit campaigning for the Darwin Award.
 

wolram

Gold Member
4,108
548
Bystander said:
Probably not --- it couldn't hurt to check with "the quack" next time you're in for stitches or tetanus shots --- you and Trib really ought to quit campaigning for the Darwin Award.

I guess the evolution award is for some sort or progretion up the tree of life,
well ,,,i think i have foud a way of circumventing it , it is call woolism, it makes no sence, but what does these days.,
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,185
51
I only know of two things to do with used motor oil, 1) take it to any mechanic shop and ask them to add it to what they're collecting for recycling or disposal or whatever they do with it that makes the EPA happy, or 2) paint it on fence rails to keep the bugs out (just don't plan on sitting on the fence when done).
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
6,781
169
Around here they still oil some of the dirt roads, in the summer.

I used to take mine to a guy who had a high efficiency, high tech heater designed to run on just about anything. He was always glad to get the old oil since it was free heat for his shop.
 

zoobyshoe

Bipedal Hairy Critter
5,817
1,268
Ivan Seeking said:
I used to take mine to a guy who had a high efficiency, high tech heater designed to run on just about anything. He was always glad to get the old oil since it was free heat for his shop.
I have a nephew in N.H. who owns an auto-body shop that is heated by one of those. I was amazed when he explained he ran it off old engine oil. He gets it the same way: from people who just want to get rid of it.

Personally, I just pour a dash of it into a glass, add rum, and drink it away little by little.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
6,781
169
zoobyshoe said:
I have a nephew in N.H. who owns an auto-body shop that is heated by one of those. I was amazed when he explained he ran it off old engine oil. He gets it the same way: from people who just want to get rid of it.
apparently they burn so cleanly that the emissions are almost entirely CO2 and water

Personally, I just pour a dash of it into a glass, add rum, and drink it away little by little.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you completely blindsided me with that one...
 

zoobyshoe

Bipedal Hairy Critter
5,817
1,268
Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you completely blindsided me with that one...
It's good for the environment, and makes your stools irridescent.
 

zoobyshoe

Bipedal Hairy Critter
5,817
1,268
wolram said:
but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.
I did a similar thing as a young zoobie. Turned on the gas stove to bake something and realized five minutes later when there was no heat, that the pilot was out. So I knelt down with my head pretty much right outside the open door and struck a match to light the pilot. Same thing. Whooshing boom. Disorientation. Curly eyebrows and lashes and hair.
 
345
1
After we changed oil in all of our stuff we always took it down to the gas station and they took it and got rid of it. We went through a lot of oil lol...couple 5 gallon pails evertime haha.
 

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top