Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the person poured their oil into a gerry can and found a use for it, shortly after moving into their cottage. Afterwards, they tried to start a fire with it, but it did not work. They then remembered that it needed oxygen, so they blew on it. Suddenly, they heard a "woosh" and their face was very red from the fire. They went to a local quick change oil place and took their oil for free. After that, they remembered that their skin had felt smoother recently and decided to go to a parlour to get depilated. However, they do not want to risk burning themselves.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well what do you do with it ? i poured mine into a 5 gallon gerry can i found
,rather than take it the 10 miles to the tip, i thought i might find a use for it,
This was shortly after i moved into my cott, well i got fed up makeing paper
squibs to start the fire with and the cooking oil was getting down, so i rembered the oil, i poured a small amount over the cinders and used some paper to light it, all it did was smoke, so i put some more on and tryed again
the same thing happened, so i thought it needed oxygen, so i started blowing on it, of a sudden i heard a WOOSH, i could not see for a few seconds, but when i could i thought i was in hell, the fire was roaring up the chimney, i could not think what to do other than hope it would die down, well it did, but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.

Physics news on Phys.org
I pour mine down the drain.

Only joking, I take it to work and tip it into the big oil recycling container thingy.

wolram said:
Well what do you do with it ? i poured mine into a 5 gallon gerry can i found
,rather than take it the 10 miles to the tip, i thought i might find a use for it,
This was shortly after i moved into my cott, well i got fed up makeing paper
squibs to start the fire with and the cooking oil was getting down, so i rembered the oil, i poured a small amount over the cinders and used some paper to light it, all it did was smoke, so i put some more on and tryed again
the same thing happened, so i thought it needed oxygen, so i started blowing on it, of a sudden i heard a WOOSH, i could not see for a few seconds, but when i could i thought i was in hell, the fire was roaring up the chimney, i could not think what to do other than hope it would die down, well it did, but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.

That reminds me of something that happened to me during the first gulf war. I'm not going to share that one (pretty embarassing) but, put it this way, I feel your pain.

Bite the bullet and drive it down to your local quick change oil place. If it's less than a gallon, most places will take it for free.

FredGarvin said:
That reminds me of something that happened to me during the first gulf war. I'm not going to share that one (pretty embarassing) but, put it this way, I feel your pain.

Bite the bullet and drive it down to your local quick change oil place. If it's less than a gallon, most places will take it for free.
Come on Fred spill the beans:smile:

I did not mention the white ash, where it came from i have no clue, but i was covered in it, it was time for my bi annual bath any way, and pumice is supposed to be good for the skin.

wolram said:
I did not mention the white ash, where it came from i have no clue, but i was covered in it, it was time for my bi annual bath any way, and pumice is supposed to be good for the skin.
The white ash probably was your skin :rofl:

Art said:
The white ash probably was your skin :rofl:
come to think on it, my face has felt smoother since, what is it them beauty
parlours do depilation or some such?

NOT a good idea, burning. The white ash could be from your cinder pile --- it could also be assorted metal oxides and carbonates from the various additives, Babbitt metal residues, who knows?

Bystander said:
NOT a good idea, burning. The white ash could be from your cinder pile --- it could also be assorted metal oxides and carbonates from the various additives, Babbitt metal residues, who knows?
Oh heck, does that mean i need some kind of decontamination?

I would expect this from tribdog, but not from you Wolram!

Don't you dare blow yourself up before MIH & I get to visit. :grumpy:

Evo said:
I would expect this from tribdog, but not from you Wolram!

Don't you dare blow yourself up before MIH & I get to visit. :grumpy:
No way, i would hold myself together with super glue and insulation tape, i do seem, accidenty prone of late, maybe it is a lack of TLC.

wolram said:
Oh heck, does that mean i need some kind of decontamination?

Probably not --- it couldn't hurt to check with "the quack" next time you're in for stitches or tetanus shots --- you and Trib really ought to quit campaigning for the Darwin Award.

Bystander said:
Probably not --- it couldn't hurt to check with "the quack" next time you're in for stitches or tetanus shots --- you and Trib really ought to quit campaigning for the Darwin Award.

I guess the evolution award is for some sort or progretion up the tree of life,
well ,,,i think i have foud a way of circumventing it , it is call woolism, it makes no sence, but what does these days.,

I only know of two things to do with used motor oil, 1) take it to any mechanic shop and ask them to add it to what they're collecting for recycling or disposal or whatever they do with it that makes the EPA happy, or 2) paint it on fence rails to keep the bugs out (just don't plan on sitting on the fence when done).

Around here they still oil some of the dirt roads, in the summer.

I used to take mine to a guy who had a high efficiency, high tech heater designed to run on just about anything. He was always glad to get the old oil since it was free heat for his shop.

Ivan Seeking said:
I used to take mine to a guy who had a high efficiency, high tech heater designed to run on just about anything. He was always glad to get the old oil since it was free heat for his shop.
I have a nephew in N.H. who owns an auto-body shop that is heated by one of those. I was amazed when he explained he ran it off old engine oil. He gets it the same way: from people who just want to get rid of it.

Personally, I just pour a dash of it into a glass, add rum, and drink it away little by little.

zoobyshoe said:
I have a nephew in N.H. who owns an auto-body shop that is heated by one of those. I was amazed when he explained he ran it off old engine oil. He gets it the same way: from people who just want to get rid of it.

apparently they burn so cleanly that the emissions are almost entirely CO2 and water

Personally, I just pour a dash of it into a glass, add rum, and drink it away little by little.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you completely blindsided me with that one...

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you completely blindsided me with that one...
It's good for the environment, and makes your stools irridescent.

wolram said:
but when i looked in the mirror i had curly brown eye lashes and my face was very red, so do not do as i did.
I did a similar thing as a young zoobie. Turned on the gas stove to bake something and realized five minutes later when there was no heat, that the pilot was out. So I knelt down with my head pretty much right outside the open door and struck a match to light the pilot. Same thing. Whooshing boom. Disorientation. Curly eyebrows and lashes and hair.

After we changed oil in all of our stuff we always took it down to the gas station and they took it and got rid of it. We went through a lot of oil lol...couple 5 gallon pails evertime haha.

I used to paint the underside of my car with it, it never went rusty, but the
smell was bad if it driped on to the exhaust.

1. What is the main message of "Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story"?

The main message of the story is to always follow safety protocols and to be responsible when handling fire. It also emphasizes the importance of learning from others' mistakes.

2. Is "Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story" based on a true event?

Yes, the story is based on a real-life incident that happened to the author. The details may have been fictionalized, but the core event did occur.

3. What inspired the author to write "Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story"?

The author was inspired to write the story after reflecting on their own experience with a fire mishap. They wanted to share their story as a cautionary tale to prevent others from making the same mistake.

4. Can this story be used as a teaching tool for fire safety?

Yes, "Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story" can be used as a teaching tool for fire safety. It effectively highlights the consequences of not following safety protocols and can serve as a cautionary tale for both children and adults.

5. What age group is "Don't Do as I Did: A Firey Story" appropriate for?

The story is appropriate for all age groups, but it is particularly relevant for children and young adults who are learning about fire safety. However, even adults can benefit from the message of the story.