Solve Time to Catch Speeding Car: Police Officer Acceleration of 5 m/s2

• Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the police officer will take 4 seconds to catch up with the speeding car moving east at 20m/s, assuming constant acceleration of 5.0m/s^2.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

A police car at rest is passed by a speeding car moving east at 20m/s. The police officer immediately starts to accelerate to the east at 5.0m/s. How long will it take the police officer to catch up with the offending car

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

VIcop=0
VFcop=?
Acop=5.0m/s2

VIoffender=20m/s

I don't really know which equation to start with because I feel as if I don't have enough variables. I want to solve for the final velocity of the cop then use that to get the time by making another equation where the final of the cop, becomes the initial, and the initial of the offender is the final... ahh I am so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't focus on the velocities, focus on the positions. The positions of the two vehicles will be the same twice: once at time zero when the driver passes the stationary cop car, and again when the cop car has caught up with driver. The speeds are not the same at either time.

The way I did it was by setting the equations equal to each other

So, since the car is moving 20m/s and the cop car is accelerating 5m/s^2:

vt=1/2at^2

Last edited:

1. How is the time to catch a speeding car calculated by a police officer?

The time to catch a speeding car is calculated by dividing the distance between the police officer and the car by the acceleration of the police officer.

2. What is the acceleration of a police officer when trying to catch a speeding car?

The acceleration of a police officer when trying to catch a speeding car is typically around 5 m/s². However, it can vary depending on the speed of the car and the response time of the officer.

3. How does the acceleration of a police officer affect the time to catch a speeding car?

The acceleration of a police officer directly affects the time to catch a speeding car. The higher the acceleration, the shorter the time it takes to catch the car.

4. What other factors besides acceleration can affect the time to catch a speeding car?

The time to catch a speeding car can also be affected by the initial distance between the police officer and the car, the speed of the car, and any obstacles or traffic on the road.

5. Can the time to catch a speeding car be accurately calculated using only the acceleration of the police officer?

No, the time to catch a speeding car cannot be accurately calculated using only the acceleration of the police officer. Other factors, such as the speed and distance of the car, must also be taken into consideration for a more accurate calculation.