Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old Farts: Save Your Vision

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1
    I discovered this way people with Windows xp can turn everything on your screen into a beautiful, large, easy to read format. This will be of particular interest to those of us past 40 whose vision isn't what it used to be.
    Click Start->Control Panel->Acessibility Options->Display
    Here, put a check in the box next to Use High Contrast, then click the Settings button next to it.
    From the drop down menu below choose Windows Standard (extra large). Then click OK. That window will dissappear and you're back at Accessibility Options. Here, you click Apply down at the bottom, and suddenly everything on your screen is gigantically large and legible.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Geez, it feels like you're shouting at me with this display. In fact, I have to switch to a 'size 1' font in order to keep from shouting, myself. And I'm definitely going back to PF Classic - those eyes are just evil in this large display mode.
    (And I thought you were talking about the effect of flatulence on eyesight. :redface: )

uhh :uhh: you wouldn't happen to remember what display I had before I tried your experiment, would you?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  4. Nov 19, 2005 #3
    No, sorry. I didn't make a note of the original setting.

I also downgraded a bit. From extra large, to large.

I tried a few others out and it is rather like having a couple dozen PF skins to choose from on your own PC. Right now I'm writing from Pumpkin, large.

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, the new PF skin looks very good with an XP style olive green display. (I've been using the Window's classic display, and, naturally enough, the PF classic skin - it's hard to change).

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Poor PC victims :frown: .
    It's a 3-click option on a Mac. :tongue:

7. Nov 19, 2005 #6
    I don't see any olive green. There are some weird colors, though.

8. Nov 19, 2005 #7
    Yeah, but can you turn your hourglass into a dinosaur like I did last night?

9. Nov 19, 2005 #8

Danger

Gold Member

We don't have that stupid hourglass either. Just to show you how more advanced Macs are, we use a little clock. :tongue:

10. Nov 19, 2005 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And the new skin looks better on Mac too!
    And the Spinning Pizza Wheel of Death!

11. Nov 19, 2005 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Can't comment on that. I still haven't been home since this was changed. I can hardly wait.

12. Nov 19, 2005 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Better clarify:
    The skin looks better on MY Mac (iMac G4) at home than it does on my PC (generic pentium 2 with Windows 2000) at work.

13. Nov 19, 2005 #12
    And can you change your little clock to a dinosaur?

14. Nov 19, 2005 #13

Danger

Gold Member

From an evolutionary standpoint, that would be a step backward. Why would I? :tongue:
    I'm pretty sure that with the right software, I could change it to Sandra Bullock if I wanted to. :tongue2:

15. Nov 19, 2005 #14

OMG WTF???? an option.... on a mac??????? Since when do they have options on macs?

Honestly though, I hate how little options there are with macs... :grumpy:\

EDIT: Is the clock you are talking about a timer or just a clock? Because, an hourglass is obviously a timer, but a clock just tells time, -pfft- which wouldn't make sense, and would prove that macs suck :biggrin:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  16. Nov 19, 2005 #15
    So, you're telling me in Canada it's the general consensus that clocks evolved from dinosaurs?

17. Nov 19, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

no, hour glasses evolved from clocks

or somthing ike that

18. Nov 19, 2005 #17

Mk

Whoa! I just had a simple localized brain seizure!

19. Nov 19, 2005 #18

Mk

When was the last time you used a Mac? 1960?

Actually they love to serve the disabled persons, whether vision, hearing, or typing...

Depending on what system it one uses, it can be a number of things. Mac OS systems used a stopwatch. Mac OS X systems use a pretty swirling vortex of colors... I like it.

20. Nov 19, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When's the last time you used a Mac? There are quite a few options, and surprisingly, they're in more logical places than on a PC. I haven't tried viewing PF from a PC since the new skin was installed, but based on the screenshots people have posted from PCs running Windows XP, it really does look a LOT better on a Mac. When I logged into PF once from the lab using first IE, then Firefox on Windows XP (with the classic skin), I honestly don't know how people don't gouge their eyes out using any browser in Windows...it was painful to look at that giant, pixelated, stretched-out looking text. It wasn't just PF either...all websites looked hideous on Windows.

21. Nov 20, 2005 #20
    That wasn't windows. The default settings in windows make everything very tiny. Now that I've found the gigantic version, it is still neither stretched out, nor pixilated. (It does seem kind of like shouting, though.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?