Old Fender Rhodes electric piano

In summary, it is safe to put the 68uf capacitors between the collectors and emitters of the 2n3053 transistors. It is also safe to use polarized or non-polarized electrolytics.
jordankersten
Hello everyone! I have an old Fender Rhodes electric piano I am rebuilding and I have a question. It uses a stereo pan circuit which pans the signal back and forth between the left and right amplifiers. It does this with a simple oscillator circuit that drives two 2N3053 transistors (now replaced with NTE 128's) that switch two light bulbs back and forth which then control each channel via a photo-cell. When the light bulbs get switched OFF, you get a bit of a pop each time. This results in a slight popping or thumping that pans back and forth when the light bulbs turn off. I put 2 68uf capacitors between the collectors and emitters of the 2n3053's and this helped a lot. The popping is hardly noticeable. I am wondering if A) is that safe to put those caps there, and B) if so, can I put in a higher uf cap to completely rid of the pop. I am wondering if this is safe for those transistors. Also, should I be using polarized or non-polarized electrolytics Thanks everyone!

P.S. Here is a schematic of the entire pre-amplifier with the vibrato circuit: http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/index2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Very Sorry, I thought that was a direct link to the schematic. To get to the schematic, click on "schematics" and it is Fig 11-8 "Pre-amp for 80 Watt suitcase and super satellite."

i don't see any reason it would hurt the 2N3053 transistors (that are driving the light bulbs). it would cause a little reactive load to the transistors in the flip-flop oscillator that is driving the 2N3053s. it will reduce the amplitude of the vibrato for faster vibrato as you increase the capacitance. you could put a resistor between the caps and the bases of the transistors to maybe round out the vibrato waveform a little. that may or may not be desirable. you have to listen to it to see.

i'm more of a DSP guy now, but long ago, in another life (about the same time the Rhodes was designed), i was a sort of circuits guy. I've always thought the mechanical action of the older Rhodeses were a little hard compared to a Wurlitzer model 200.

best of luck,

Thanks for the reply! I have actually never played a Wurlitizer. Just my Rhodes and my B3...but playing Steinways on jazz gigs, the Rhodes feels good to me...I tend to like the heavier action.

What is an "Old Fender Rhodes electric piano"?

An "Old Fender Rhodes electric piano" is a type of electric piano that was produced by the Fender Musical Instruments Corporation from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. It is known for its distinctive warm and mellow sound and is a popular choice among musicians.

How does an Old Fender Rhodes electric piano work?

An Old Fender Rhodes electric piano works by using a series of hammers to strike metal tines, which vibrate and produce sound. The tines are then amplified and projected through built-in speakers or an external amplifier. The piano also has a sustain pedal which allows for longer notes to be played.

What makes the Old Fender Rhodes electric piano unique?

The Old Fender Rhodes electric piano is unique due to its design and construction. Unlike traditional pianos, it does not use strings to produce sound, giving it a different tone and feel. It also has a built-in tremolo effect, which adds a subtle wavering to the sound.

How is an Old Fender Rhodes electric piano different from a modern electric piano?

An Old Fender Rhodes electric piano is different from modern electric pianos in a few ways. It has a more vintage and warm sound compared to the digital and synthesized sound of modern electric pianos. It also has a unique and distinct look with its wooden body and metal tines.

Can an Old Fender Rhodes electric piano be repaired and restored?

Yes, an Old Fender Rhodes electric piano can be repaired and restored by a professional technician. Due to its age, it may require replacement of certain parts or adjustments to the internal mechanics. With proper maintenance, an old Fender Rhodes electric piano can continue to produce beautiful music for many years to come.