The Mystery of the Missing Dollar: Can You Solve It?

• Thread starter ProfessorLogical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, three people on a trip go to a hotel and get a room for $30 total. The bellhop initially overcharges them, but then returns $3, keeping $2 for himself. However, the math doesn't add up because there is no missing dollar - it's just a matter of how the calculations were done.
ProfessorLogical
it's not all that sophisticated but it has given a hard time even to some math people.

3 people on a trip go to a hotel to get a room to spend the night in.

the desk clerk just happens to not be there, so the bellhop says can take care of you but I'm not sure how much a room cost, i think it's $30. so they pay him $30...$10 each.

the desk clerk comes back and the bellhop tells him what happened. he tell the bellhop he overcharged the people. he gives the bellhop $5 and tells him to go to their room and return the money.

on the way to the room the bellhop figures they'll never know, so he decides to keep $2 for himself and only give them back $3. so he gets to their room, tells them what happened and gives them back $3, so each person gets $1 back, making each person's final cost $9.

so 3 x $9 = $27, plus the $2 the bellhop kept is $29. what happened to the other dollar?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing happened to the other dollar. It's conservation of ener... I mean, money :biggrin:.

There's no point in adding 2 dollars.
3 people * $9 = $27 total + $3 returned = $30 initial
$30 initial - ($5 in bellhop hands) = $30 initial - ($3 returned + $2 stolen) = $25 real price

Edit: Solution typo.

Last edited:
Psinter said:
Nothing happened to the other dollar. It's conservation of ener... I mean, money :biggrin:.

:smile:...i've actually had people insist that i was lying and each person really got back $1.33.

ProfessorLogical said:
:smile:...i've actually had people insist that i was lying and each person really got back $1.33.
Hihi.

You know, I just noticed an error in my equations. Let me edit that... fixed.

Edit: Let me put this in a spoiler so that others who don't want to see the solution can solve it themselves.
I wrote $3 * $9. But the trick is that it is not 3 dollars times 9 dollars. It is 3 people times 9 dollars, which is different. The units are important for it to make sense on the other side of the equation because only if it is expressed as the latter, then can you add the 3 dollars to the 27.

It's fixed now. :smile:

It is indeed a sort of play on words, adding things that shouldn't be added. The solution is to "follow the money":
Cashier has $25, bellboy has $2, and the guests have 3x$1 = $30.

1. What is the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar"?

The "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" is a popular riddle that involves a group of people splitting the cost of a hotel room. However, when they go to pay, they realize that they have overpaid by one dollar. The riddle requires the reader to figure out where the extra dollar went.

2. Who created the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar"?

The creator of the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" is unknown. This riddle has been circulating for many years and its origins are uncertain.

3. Is the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" a real problem or just a brain teaser?

The "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" is a fictional problem meant to test one's critical thinking skills. It does not have a real-life application or solution.

4. What is the correct answer to the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar"?

The correct answer to the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" is that there is no missing dollar. The mistake lies in the incorrect addition of the hotel room cost, leading to the illusion of a missing dollar. The original cost of the room was $25, not $30.

5. What can we learn from the "Mystery of the Missing Dollar"?

The "Mystery of the Missing Dollar" teaches us the importance of attention to detail and critical thinking. It also shows how our perceptions can be easily manipulated and how a small mistake can lead to a big misunderstanding.