Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old new world.

1. Jul 7, 2005 #1
    Ancient footprints in Mexico shatter human migration theories.

Somehow I'm not surprised at all. And then the rigidness and arrogance of the defence of the Clovis people and Beringia landbridge crossing 13,000 years ago, a.k.a. the Clovis mafia.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2005 #2
    Did you know there is a certain signature, to the shape of humans 2 front teeth? It has to do with the back side of the teeth.
    Asians, S Pacific islanders have larger degree what is called shoveling, the marginal ridges may be especially prominent {which many eskemos, NE and west plains native americans have}.
    South american natives have elongated, nearly uniform teeth, with very little shoveling{which the inca, mayans and many of our sw natives..including the clovis}
    Ancient europeans have what is referred to as pegging. Shorter tooth lenth, a much stocker tooth. Which can also be found from in the tribes of the woodlands down to florida.

I did hundreds of tooth casts in mexico, and found 2 distinct types. I don't recall the break down, but some had major shoveling, while others had the elongated.
    There is a high genetic component that minimizes the effect of environmental differences, sexual dimorphism, and age variations.
    I do believe people crossed from the northern land bridge. And I do believe the S americans worked there way north. And in mexico is where they met.
  4. Jul 7, 2005 #3
    I wonder... where do Australian aboriginals fit in with your whole tooth thing?
  5. Jul 7, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That quite a bold statement. It is just a foot print. It only provides evidence that someone was there 40,000 years ago. It does not provide evidence that these "settlers" were the genetic founder of the native americans of today.

Genetic evidence seems to point that native american are closely related to north-east asians. However, the inuit have a diffenrent genetic relationship but it has been establish that the inuit immigrated later than the rest of the native americans.

However, genetics diversity, partly due to mixing and population movement, within native americans is quite great and it might be diffficult to trace some evolutionnary path.

Genetically, Australian natives are related to south-east asians such as melanesians and new-guineans.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?