Nature News: Surprising Findings in 2004

In summary, the conversation is about a paper published in the journal AJP that has sparked controversy in the physics community due to some authors wanting payment for expressing their views. The paper has been discussed on various forums and has received a lot of attention. A link to the paper is provided for further reading.
flashgordon
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I seen this couple of days ago, but there is little point in commenting unless one can access the data?..seems that some Theoreticians want a payment for expressing their views, this is having some grave consequences within certain scientific fields.

Here in the UK this is deemed to be 'egotistical practice', I see it as more than likely the authors have contractual liabilities by big-time societies, such as AJP.

flashgordon said:
http://www.nature.com/news/2004/041004/full/041004-17.html

Well, I havn't been to these messageboards in . . . awhile, so maybe I don't know if everybody here has seen this.

I guess I'm just posting it; comment if you'd like!

This is the AJL paper which has been commented on in the Strings, Branes and LQG forum. The paper has attracted a LOT of attention in the Physics community.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What were some of the most surprising findings in nature in 2004?

One of the most surprising findings was the discovery of the dwarf planet Eris, which is larger than Pluto. Another surprising finding was the identification of water on the moon.

2. How were these surprising findings discovered?

Eris was discovered through observations made by the Hubble Space Telescope, while the presence of water on the moon was confirmed through data collected by the Cassini spacecraft.

3. What impact did these findings have on our understanding of nature?

These findings challenged our previous understanding of the composition of our solar system and expanded our knowledge of celestial bodies. They also raised questions about the potential for life on other planets.

4. Were there any other notable discoveries in nature in 2004?

Yes, there were several other notable discoveries, including the identification of a new species of dinosaur, the discovery of a 4,000-year-old temple in Peru, and the first successful cloning of a human embryo.

5. How do these findings contribute to ongoing scientific research?

These findings provide new avenues for further research and exploration, as well as opportunities for scientists to test and develop theories about the origins and evolution of our universe and the diverse species within it.