Becoming a Physicist at 60+: Exploring the Hierarchy Problem

• Physics
  • Thread starter cube137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary: Therefore, you are wasting your time and money if you plan on becoming a physicist primarily to explore the paranormal.
cube137
First. To become physicist with Ph.D. Do you have to be connected with institutions? Do you have to teach?

I will be 50 years in a few years. If I will go back to school. I will become full fledge physicist 60+ years old.. Would I be too old? Haven't you heard of 60+ year old newly graduate physicist? I'd like to be Ph.D. in the Hierarchy Problem as this is what really interests me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not a question of being too old. It's a question of not having enough time. If you complete your training at retirement age, how much will you be able to accomplish?

Vanadium 50 said:
It's not a question of being too old. It's a question of not having enough time. If you complete your training at retirement age, how much will you be able to accomplish?

From 60 years to 90 years old.. I have 30 years to work on the final theory... that will be enough years isn't it.

cube137 said:
From 60 years to 90 years old.. I have 30 years to work on the final theory... that will be enough years isn't it.

No, because your "theory" will never be "final".

If you are getting into physics under that kind of delusion, then you have chosen the wrong field.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, because your "theory" will never be "final".

If you are getting into physics under that kind of delusion, then you have chosen the wrong field.

Zz.

I'm a parapsychologist with over 30 years experience with the most extreme subjects. As long as scientists will ignore the paranormal.. They will never arrive at any unification. And it's the only experimental guidance there is that can falsify or guide certain theories especially between the TeV and Planck scale. Therefore I have to become a physicist with Ph.D. to communicate with other foundational theoretical physicists and lead. Without a Ph.D. who would even listen to me? If I don't do it. Who are the existing theoretical physicists with the same extreme background as me? None. Anyway. Who are the physicists who graduate at 60 years old? is there any? please share some references about them as I want to imagine what it would be like when all your professors are younger than you. And I have to walk the walk and make it become part of mainstream science.

cube137 said:
I'm a parapsychologist with over 30 years experience with the most extreme subjects.

My ESP tells me you will have a hard time with this plan.

Likes berkeman, russ_watters, CalcNerd and 4 others
cube137 said:
From 60 years to 90 years old.. I have 30 years to work on the final theory.

The fraction of 65 year olds who make it to 90 is under 30%. The fraction of 90 year olds who are still working is 4%. So there's a ~99% chance that this plan won't come to fruition.

cube137 said:
I'm a parapsychologist with over 30 years experience with the most extreme subjects. As long as scientists will ignore the paranormal.. They will never arrive at any unification. And it's the only experimental guidance there is that can falsify or guide certain theories especially between the TeV and Planck scale. Therefore I have to become a physicist with Ph.D. to communicate with other foundational theoretical physicists and lead. Without a Ph.D. who would even listen to me? If I don't do it. Who are the existing theoretical physicists with the same extreme background as me? None. Anyway. Who are the physicists who graduate at 60 years old? is there any? please share some references about them as I want to imagine what it would be like when all your professors are younger than you. And I have to walk the walk and make it become part of mainstream science.

Have fun!

Zz.

Likes wormbread and Doc Al
ZapperZ said:
Have fun!

Somehow I knew you should say this. Mental telepathy!

Likes berkeman
Thread locked for moderation.

cube137 said:
I'm a parapsychologist with over 30 years experience with the most extreme subjects. As long as scientists will ignore the paranormal.. They will never arrive at any unification. And it's the only experimental guidance there is that can falsify or guide certain theories especially between the TeV and Planck scale.

I'm sorry but this is a pipe dream. If you are seriously considering becoming a physicist primarily because you want to explore the paranormal as a scientist and unify physics by using the paranormal, then you are deluding yourself as to how science works and what you can realistically achieve.

cube137 said:
Therefore I have to become a physicist with Ph.D. to communicate with other foundational theoretical physicists and lead. Without a Ph.D. who would even listen to me?

Very few would listen to you regardless of your background. Paranormal research has produced exactly zero unambiguous results supporting the existence of any paranormal phenomena, despite over 150 years of research. To quote wiki:

Scientists critical of parapsychology state that its extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence if they are to be taken seriously.[148] Scientists who have evaluated parapsychology have written the entire body of evidence is of poor quality and not adequately controlled.[149] In support of this view, critics cite instances of fraud, flawed studies, and cognitive biases (such as clustering illusion, availability error, confirmation bias, illusion of control, magical thinking, and the bias blind spot) as ways to explain parapsychological results.[150][151] Research has also shown that people's desire to believe in paranormal phenomena causes them to discount strong evidence that it does not exist.[152]

I don't care what title you hold or what background you have, you aren't going to change this. This is because science values all the things that the paranormal community, as a whole, does not. Integrity, accuracy, education, reliability, and many others, not the least of which includes, for lack of a better word, introspection. The ability and willingness to evaluate oneself. Science does its damnedest to avoid all the biases mentioned mentioned in the wiki quote above. The amount of research on these biases and how to avoid them probably exceeds the entire volume of work by paranormal researchers by several orders of magnitude. In contrast, the paranormal community appears to be almost completely ignorant of the very existence of such biases (among many other biases, logical fallacies, and limitations). Even suggesting that an experimental finding may be the result of such biases is anathema to the paranormal community.

If you really want to become a physicist, then that's up to you. But if you're expecting to actually accomplish anything in physics by being a proponent of the paranormal, you're going to be seriously disappointed.

Thread will remain locked.

Likes russ_watters, jedishrfu, wormbread and 6 others

1. What is the Hierarchy Problem in physics?

The Hierarchy Problem is a fundamental issue in physics that refers to the large discrepancy between the weak force and the gravitational force. In other words, the weak force is about 10^32 times stronger than gravity, and this is a problem because in other areas of physics, forces are typically more similar in strength.

2. How does age affect the ability to become a physicist?

Age does not necessarily affect the ability to become a physicist. While it is true that many physicists begin their careers in their 20s or 30s, it is never too late to pursue a career in physics. In fact, many renowned physicists made significant contributions later in life, such as Albert Einstein who published his groundbreaking theory of general relativity at the age of 36.

3. What are some challenges that older individuals may face when pursuing a career in physics?

Some challenges that older individuals may face when pursuing a career in physics include catching up on new developments and technologies, potentially facing age discrimination in the job market, and balancing other commitments such as family or retirement.

4. What are some advantages of pursuing a career in physics at 60+ years old?

One advantage of pursuing a career in physics at 60+ years old is the wealth of life experience and knowledge that one brings to the field. This can bring unique perspectives and insights to research and collaboration. Additionally, at this stage in life, there may be more financial stability and fewer family commitments, allowing for more time and focus on pursuing a career in physics.

5. Is it too late to make a significant impact in the field of physics at 60+ years old?

No, it is never too late to make a significant impact in the field of physics. Many renowned physicists have made groundbreaking contributions later in life, and age should not be a limiting factor in pursuing one's passions and goals. With hard work, dedication, and a curious mind, anyone can make a meaningful impact in the field of physics at any age.