Bread Loaf Size Changes with Wheat Price- Trevisio Arithmetic

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, when a bushel of wheat is worth 9 lire, a loaf of bread weighs 6 ounces. When a bushel of wheat is worth 11 lire, a loaf of bread weighs 54/11 ounces.
JasonJo
When a bushel of wheat is worth 9 lire, the bakers make a loaf of bread weighing 6 ounces, when a bushel of wheat is worth 11 lire, how big is a loaf of bread? (the price of a loaf is constant)

from Trevisio Arithmetic

here is how i approached it, tell me if I'm wrong:

let there be n ounces in a bushel. therefore 1 bushel = n/6 loaves therefore 9/(n/6) = price per loaf, and since this is constant, let it equal c. then if a bushel of wheat is equal to 11 lire, then 11/(n/x) = c where x is the weight of each loaf. therefore 11/(n/x) = 9/(n/6) and we get that x=54/11

is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
things to think about --

If wheat is more expensive, but the loaf costs the same... will the loaf be larger/smaller?

Then -- you don't have units on the loaf size/weight. Carrying units in your calculations will make it easier to check if you've done the math right.

These checks will tell you that your number is probably correct... but your teacher will likely want units.

JasonJo said:
When a bushel of wheat is worth 9 lire, the bakers make a loaf of bread weighing 6 ounces, when a bushel of wheat is worth 11 lire, how big is a loaf of bread? (the price of a loaf is constant)

from Trevisio Arithmetic

here is how i approached it, tell me if I'm wrong:

let there be n ounces in a bushel. therefore 1 bushel = n/6 loaves therefore 9/(n/6) = price per loaf, and since this is constant, let it equal c. then if a bushel of wheat is equal to 11 lire, then 11/(n/x) = c where x is the weight of each loaf. therefore 11/(n/x) = 9/(n/6) and we get that x=54/11

is this right?

I thought I had responded to this yesterday but my internet link was acting up and apparently it didn't get through. You got the right answer but you reasoning doesn't look quite correct. I would do this as an "inverse proportion" problem (inverse because increasing the price of wheat will decrease the size of a loaf): 9*6= 11*x so x= 54/11.

1. What is the purpose of studying the relationship between bread loaf size and wheat price?

The purpose of this study is to determine how changes in wheat price may affect the size of bread loaves, and to understand the potential impact on consumers and the baking industry.

2. How was the data for this study collected?

The data for this study was collected by conducting a survey of various bakeries and grocery stores to gather information on the price of wheat and the size of bread loaves over a certain time period.

3. What is the significance of the Trevisio Arithmetic method in this study?

The Trevisio Arithmetic method is a statistical analysis technique that allows for the comparison of different data sets, in this case, the price of wheat and the size of bread loaves. It helps to determine if there is a correlation between these variables.

4. Can this study be applied to other types of bread or only to bread loaves?

While this particular study focused on bread loaves, the same methodology and analysis can be applied to other types of bread, such as bagels, rolls, and pastries, as long as the price of wheat is a significant factor in their production.

5. What are the potential implications of the findings from this study?

The findings from this study can provide valuable insights for both consumers and the baking industry. It can help consumers understand how changes in wheat price may affect the size of their bread loaves and make informed purchasing decisions. For the baking industry, it can inform pricing strategies and production decisions based on fluctuations in wheat prices.