Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old Weather Information

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I have photometry from a number of sources with only very sparse details about the observing conditions at the time. The only information I have is the date, the filter and the longitude & latitude of the observer.

Is there any program or website on which one can enter any latitude & longitude plus a date and it will be able to estimate or reproduce the weather logs for that area? Specifically I need ground temperature, ground pressure and if possible humidity.

Any tips would be very much appreciated,

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    For that matter, I cannot find anything that would produce the elevation of a given longitude and latitude and would work well with a script...

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    Thanks, but is there anything where you enter longitude and latitude rather than the name of a place?

Also, the elevation problem remains unsolved. I have found several java scripts on the web but nothing which one could easily link into a code.

Natski

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hmm....not sure about lat and long. I think you may have to manually find the nearest town.

....what elevation problem?

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6
    Hmm that's a great shame... it would make an automated script somehow impossible (or at least from my point of view).

Elevation problem - I am referring to other problem I posed: is it possible to somehow input long & lat and output elevation of that target (i..e altitude above sea-level). I have found java scripts to do this but nothing which could be linked into a script running on my machine.

Natski

8. Oct 25, 2009 #7
    http://www.earthtools.org/webservices.htm [Broken]

I had the same trouble finding elevations from lat/long a few months ago. Then I found the above site. It works quite simply, submit the lat and long in the url and it'll return some XML that includes the elevation.

example:
    http://www.earthtools.org/height/52.4822/-1.8946 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Oct 25, 2009 #8
    That is excellent, exactly what I was looking for! Thank-you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook