Oleum "fumes"

• Thread starter sludger13
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'd like to know the physical mechanism of oleum "fuming" on its surface. Dissolved SO3 reacts very exothermically with some air humidity. Why does the mist occur instead of dissolving created H2SO4 in the solution?

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Why does the mist occur instead of dissolving created H2SO4 in the solution?
SO3 reacts very exothermically with some air humidity
You've pretty much answered your own question here.

You've pretty much answered your own question here.
No, that is too simplified.
The reaction takes place on the liquid's surface. The heat of reaction heats up surface's surroundings.
What does there vaporize? Air humidity? Then why does it condensate 1 cm above the surface? Or sulfuric acid with (~300°C, p(atm)) boiling point? Generally, why the sulfuric acid is being carried away if it can dissolve?

Borek
Mentor
My bet is that the concentration (partial pressure) of SO3 above oleum is high enough to start condensation in the presence of water vapor. That will happen above the surface, in the gas phase.

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Or sulfuric acid with (~300°C, p(atm)) boiling point?
Cp(H2SO4, liq) ~ 60 J/molK, and the enthalpy of the reaction between SO3 and water vapor at the surface is around 160 kJ/mol. Fume? You betcha --- that's the old "acid to water, never water to acid" rule from HS chemistry.

My bet is that the concentration (partial pressure) of SO3 above oleum is high enough to start condensation in the presence of water vapor. That will happen above the surface, in the gas phase.
That makes me more sense, thank you.

Fume? You betcha --- that's the old "acid to water, never water to acid" rule from HS chemistry.
When water putted into acid or conversely acid putted into water, the liquid may spit around due to gas expansion, as I see. Also that is different physical process than oleum fuming.