Preparing for Olympiad Exam: Tips & Suggestions

• Thread starter jobsism
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Olympiad
In summary, the individual is asking for advice on preparing for high-level Olympiad questions in a short amount of time. They have been recommended a book called "Mathematical Circles: A Russian Experience" but are still struggling with the more advanced problems. They are looking for suggestions on other beginner-level books and tips for problem-solving. They are also considering finding a qualified coach for deliberate practice to improve their skills in problem-solving.
jobsism
I had already posted an earlier thread, asking anyone if they could tell me whether a set of questions were high-level Olympiad questions, and whether I could prepare for such questions (for a certain examination) in 3 months.

However, this post is on a completely optimistic note; after looking at the ingenuity of the questions asked, and the fun in the math involved to solve them, I'm well damn determined to go to whatever extent to learn the math to solve such problems! :D

All I want to know now is whether my current preparation is sufficient; I'm currently studying from a book named "Mathematical Circles: A Russian Experience" by Dmitri Fomin, Sergey Genkin and Ilia Itenberg. The theory is easy to understand and the problems are intriguing. However, I'm still not at a level to solve the "high-level" ones (perhaps I will be able to, after completing the book). And I think the theory is a bit limited too. To have an idea of these "high-level" (atleast for me!) questions, here's a sample:-

1. Show that there are exactly 16 pairs of integers (x, y) such that 11x + 8y + 17 = xy.

2. A function g from a set X to itself satisfies g^m = g^n for positive integers m and n with m > n. Here g^n stands for g ◦ g ◦ · · · ◦ g (n times). Show that g is one-to-one if and only if g is onto.

3. Let a1, a2,...a100 be 100 positive integers. Show that for some m,n with 1<=m<=n<=100, ∑[i=m to n] a(subscript)i is divisible by 100.

4. In Triangle ABC, BE is a median, and O the mid-point of BE. The line joining A and O meets BC at D. Find the ratio AO : OD.

Are there any other beginner-level books, that cover most topics? I've already glanced at some of the famous ones like "Mathematical Olympiad Challenges" by Titu Andreescu, "The Art and Craft of Problem-Solving" by Paul Zeitz and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel, but I don't feel comfortable using them.

Any other book suggestions/tips, anyone? Please help.

Thanks! :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you don't feel ready to start reading a problem solving book, find problems from less difficult competitions. You should be doing 99% problem solving, and 1% reading.

Looks like your preparing for CMI as well! Good luck !

In "Talent is Overrated, What REALLY separates World-Class Performers From Everybody Else" Geoff Colvin makes a very strong case for a method called "deliberate practice", which is very different from how most people "practice", and for finding a very qualified coach/trainer/tutor who can see your weaknesses much better than you can and who will work you mercilessly.

I should have/would have done that twenty years ago if I'd had the sense to realize it.

If anyone wants to dispute Colvin's argument then I'd love to see the evidence to back it up.

As I think I've written several times on these competition questions before, after listening to a couple of presentations by individuals who were long time graders and trainers for the Putnam, at least for the Putnam, being trained and coached by an individual who really understands what it takes to make the difference between getting one or two points versus getting almost full points on a problem... skilled coaching will make all the difference, assuming you have already developed an adequate skill set in problem solving.

If you want to score really really highly you should obviously go verify all this information with someone who is highly qualified.

Last edited:

I am glad to see your enthusiasm and determination to prepare for the Olympiad exam. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to excel in such high-level competitions.

Based on the sample questions you have provided, it seems like you are on the right track with your current preparation from "Mathematical Circles: A Russian Experience." This book is known for its clear explanations and challenging problems, which are essential for Olympiad preparation. I would suggest completing the book and solving as many problems as possible to strengthen your understanding of the concepts.

In addition to this book, I would also recommend "Mathematical Olympiad Challenges" by Titu Andreescu and "Problem-Solving Strategies" by Arthur Engel. These books are specifically designed for Olympiad preparation and cover a wide range of topics and difficulty levels. However, it is important to find a book that suits your learning style, so if you don't feel comfortable with these books, you can explore other options as well.

Apart from books, it is also crucial to practice solving past Olympiad exam papers. This will give you an idea of the types of questions asked and help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. You can also participate in online forums or study groups to discuss and solve problems with other aspiring Olympiad students.

Lastly, I would advise you to stay focused and dedicated to your preparation. Three months may seem like a short time, but with consistent effort and practice, you can definitely improve your skills and increase your chances of success in the Olympiad exam. Good luck!

What is an Olympiad Exam?

An Olympiad Exam is a competitive examination that tests students' knowledge and skills in a specific subject, such as math, science, or language. These exams are usually held at the international level and aim to identify and nurture young talent in various fields.

What are some tips for preparing for an Olympiad Exam?

Some tips for preparing for an Olympiad Exam include practicing previous year's papers, studying from reliable sources, managing time effectively, and seeking help from teachers or mentors. It is also important to maintain a positive attitude and stay focused on your goals.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for an Olympiad Exam?

To improve your problem-solving skills for an Olympiad Exam, you can practice solving a variety of problems from different sources. It is also helpful to understand the concepts and underlying principles behind the problems rather than just memorizing solutions.

What are some common mistakes students make while preparing for an Olympiad Exam?

Some common mistakes students make while preparing for an Olympiad Exam include not starting early enough, focusing on quantity rather than quality of studying, and neglecting weaker areas. It is also important to avoid burnout and maintain a balance between studying and other activities.

How can I manage my time effectively during an Olympiad Exam?

To manage your time effectively during an Olympiad Exam, it is important to familiarize yourself with the exam format and practice solving problems within a given time limit. You can also create a study schedule and prioritize topics based on your strengths and weaknesses. Additionally, avoid spending too much time on a single question and move on if you get stuck.