Olympic games hockey - warm up

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential winners of the upcoming Olympic ice hockey tournament. The rosters for Team Sweden, Slovakia, Canada, Czech Republic, and Team Finland are mentioned, as well as the opinions of the participants on each team's chances. The conversation also touches on the absence of certain players and the potential for upsets.
EL
Science Advisor
Who do you think will win?

The Swedish team was recently presented:
Goalies:
Stefan Liv, HV 71
Mikael Tellqvist, Toronto
Henrik Lundqvist, NY Rangers
Defenders:
Nicklas Lidström, Detroit
Mattias Norström, Los Angeles
Mattias Öhlund, Vancouver
Kim Johnsson, Philadelphia
Christian Bäckman, St Louis
Kenny Jönsson, Rögle
Niklas Kronwall, Detroit
Forwards:
Henrik Zetterberg, Detroit
Peter Forsberg, Philadelphia
Daniel Alfredsson, Ottawa
Mats Sundin, Toronto
Fredrik Modin, Tampa Bay
Samuel Påhlsson, Anaheim
Markus Näslund, Vancouver
Per-Johan Axelsson, Boston
Mika Hannula, HV 71
Jörgen Jönsson, Färjestad
Mikael Samuelsson, Detroit
Daniel Sedin, Vancouver
Henrik Sedin, Vancouver

Physics news on Phys.org
Slovakia:

Goalies: Peter Budaj, Colorado, Karol Krizan, Modo, Jan Lasak, Pardubice.
Defenders: Zdeno Chara, Ottawa, Ivan Majesky, Washington, Andrej Meszaros, Ottawa, Martin Strbak, CSKA Moskva, Radoslav Suchy, Columbus, Lubomir Visnovsky, Los Angeles, Milan Jurcina, Boston.
Forwards: Lubos Bartecko, Luleå, Peter Bondra, Atlanta, Pavol Demitra, Los Angeles, Marian Gaborik, Minnesota, Michal Handzus, Philadelphia, Marcel Hossa, New York Rangers, Marian Hossa, Atlanta, Richard Kapus, Metallurg Novokuznetsk, Ladislav Nagy, Phoenix, Miroslav Satan, New York Islanders, Jozef Stupel, Florida, Marek Svatos, Colorado, Richard Zednik, Montreal.

Canada:

Goalies: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Marty Turco.
Defenders: Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Ed Jovanovski, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Wade Redden, Robyn Regehr.
Forwards: Simon Gagne, Jarome Iginla, Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth, Shane Doan, Kris Draper, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Martin St Louis, Joe Thornton, Todd Bertuzzi.

Czech republic:

Goalies: Dominik Hasek, Ottawa, Milan Hnilicka, Bili Tygri, Liberec, Tomas Vokoun, Nashville.
Defenders: Frantisek Kaberle, Carolina, Tomas Kaberle, Toronto, Filip Kuba, Minnesota, Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay, Marek Malik, New York Rangers, Jaroslav Spacek, Chicago, Marek Zidlicky, Nashville.
Anfallare: Jan Bulis, Montreal, Petr Cajanek, St Louis, Martin Erat, Nashville, Milan Hejduk, Colorado, Ales Hemsky, Edmonton, Jaromir Jagr, New York Rangers, Robert Lang, Detroit, Rostislav Olesz, Florida, Vaclav Prospal, Tampa Bay, Petr Prucha, New York Rangers, Martin Rucinsky, do, Martin Straka, do, David Vyborny, Columbus.

canada will of course own that tournament, just as we did last year at the world cup & @ the world jrs.

I am sooooooo glad that the Canadians didn't pick Brendan Shanahan. Even though he is scoring a lot this year so far, I think he's a cherry-picking, non skating sloth that is not deserving of his "power forward" status any longer. That guy floats more than a boat when he's on the ice.

All team allegiances aside, I really thought Thomas Holmstrom was going to get the nod for the Swedes this time around. I do think the Swedes are going to be the team to beat this time around.

PS the US team was announced. Why didn't you post them?

Last edited:
US Olympic Hockey Team:

Goaltenders:
Rick DiPietro
Robert Esche
John Grahame

Defensemen:
Chris Chelios
Derian Hatcher
Jordan Leopold
John-Michael Liles
Aaron Miller
Brian Rafalski
Mathieu Schneider (YEAH!)

FORWARDS:
Jason Blake
Erik Cole
Craig Conroy
Chris Drury
Scott Gomez
Brian Gionta
Bill Guerin
Mike Knuble
Mike Modano
Mark Parrish
Brian Rolston
Keith Tkachuk
Doug Weight

Mike Knuble? Geeze. The US is screwed.

Last edited:
For once real sports at Pf :biggrin: .

The roster of Team Canada deserves a bow, but I think the World Cup was otherwise a good indication of how things will turn out.

Team Finland

Goalies

Miikka Kiprusoff, Calgary Flames
Kari Lehtonen, Atlanta Thrashers
Fredrik Norrena, Linköping

Defenders

Aki Berg, Toronto Maple Leafs
Toni Lydman, Buffalo Sabres
Teppo Numminen, Buffalo Sabres
Joni Pitkänen, Philadelphia Flyers
Sami Salo, Vancouver Canucks
Kimmo Timonen, Nashville Predators
Ossi Väänänen, Colorado Avalanche

Forwards

Jukka Hentunen, Lugano
Olli Jokinen, Florida Panthers
Niko Kapanen, Dallas Stars
Sami Kapanen, Philadelphia Flyers
Mikko Koivu, Minnesota Wild
Saku Koivu, Montreal Canadiens
Antti Laaksonen, Colorado Avalanche
Jere Lehtinen, Dallas Stars
Antti Miettinen, Dallas Stars
Ville Peltonen, Lugano
Jarkko Ruutu, Vancouver Canucks
Tuomo Ruutu, Chicago Blackhawks
Teemu Selänne, Anaheim Mighty Ducks

has the russian team not announced yet. Depending on the russian team...i'd say Canada czech,slov,fin,swede,russ top 6 not in that order

gonna cheer for Canada if russia doesn't put out a decent roster
CANADA
has everything
CZECHs
will give Canada a run for their money...gotta love the matchup hasek vs brodeur. But the Czech have forwards that turned their careers around in jagr/rucinsky. hmmm no straka? Wonder how well their D is..i hate T. kaberle.
SWEDES
goalie will be the iffy but their forwads and lidstrom/ohlund may just carry them over

FINS
have a dominate goalie in kiprusoffand pretty fast lines, never knew salo was a fin..and you look toward numinem to punish any forward. I'd say there D core is the iffy for this team

SLOVS
No goalie but they have CHARA...he's like to defence..but the plus side is they actually get to bring all their NHL players this time...something they were never able to do because of the nhl schedule(or was that for the worlds) they probably have one of the faster teams out there.This is what I want
canada/russ, fin/slov, czech, swede,
But i think it'll be
canada, czech, fin,swede, slov, russ

Well, about Kipper's participation ---

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/12/249056.html [Broken]

:cry: , now it's just hoping Niittymaki can keep up solid performances and Lehtonen get's his groins in order :biggrin: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Russians vs. Czechs for gold and silver, U. S. loses bronze to Finland.

Bystander,
I can't believe that you have completely left out Canada for contention. Canada will definitely get farther than the US. In the olympic format, I don't see the US getting to the medal rounds. I guess we'll see.

ya the us doesn't have richter this time around

what other teams are there?

are finland and norway too in the poll for the ice hockey competition?

FredGarvin said:
Bystander,
I can't believe that you have completely left out Canada for contention. Canada will definitely get farther than the US. In the olympic format, I don't see the US getting to the medal rounds. I guess we'll see.

It's an average, personal, impression of who is and who ain't performing in the NHL this season, "performance" including "getting the job done" even when the regular supporting cast isn't on the ice.

yeah nuts i just heard the news last night. kiprusoff ain't going that bytes.

Do the olympics use the same rules as the new NHL? i thought they didn't

since kiprusoff is out and i found out the russian lineup
canada/russ, slov/czech, swede/fin
But i think it'll be
canada/russ, czech, swede, slov, fin

oh and can someone post the russian lineup, funny they missed teh deadline go BURE.

neurocomp2003 said:
Do the olympics use the same rules as the new NHL? i thought they didn't.
You're right. They do not use the same rules. Olympic rules will always favor the better skating/faster teams.

Anyone have any line on whether Canada should have had Sydney Crosby in the line up? I know he's young, but he is the leading scorer on Pittsburgh. Any thoughts, any comments, any anecdotes...?

Last edited:
No Crosby show ... I think the arguments for favoring experience sound pretty good, mean he's spectacular, but still 18 ... if Canada could send 2 teams in that case.

Russia;

Goalies
Nikolai Habibulin, Chicago Blackhawks
Jevgeni Nabokov, San Jose Sharks
Ilja Bryzgalov, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

Defenders
Andrei Markov, Montreal Canadiens
Sergei Gontshar, Pittsburgh Penguins
Daniil Markov, Nashville Predators
Aleksei Zhitnik, New York Islanders
Anton Voltshenkov, Ottawa Senators
Darius Kasparaitis, New York Rangers
Dmitri Bykov, Dinamo Moskova
Fjodor Tjutin, New York Rangers

Forwards
Aleksei Kovalev, Montreal Canadiens
Pavel Datsjuk, Detroit Red Wings
Ilja Kovaltshuk, Atlanta Thrashers
Maksim Afinogenov, Buffalo Sabres
Jevgeni Malkin, Metallurg Magnitogorsk
Aleksandr Ovetshkin, Washington Capitals
Maksim Sushinski, Dinamo Moskova
Aleksei Jashin, New York Islanders
Aleksandr Frolov, Los Angeles Kings
Viktor Kozlov, New Jersey Devils
Aleksei Zhamnov, Boston Bruins
Aleksandr Haritonov, Dinamo Moskova

... I'm impressed, no Fedorov, Mogilny, Samsonov, Zubov - but other than those guys everyone seems to be present.

perennial are you using a russian to english keyboard?

mogilny will never play for russia. after what happen...which sucks because I'm a big almo fan since his sabres days(though he is a bit lazy) and I'm a big russian fan.
[] I'm surprised 3 dynamo players took spots from russians.
[] almost thought they didn't have zhitnik
[] I'm surprised tverdovsky,zubov not so much of a surprise(zubov isn't having a stellar year) mm what's that other allstar defenceman shoot forget his names he played for the canes i think always named with tverdovsky.
[] fedorov i don't think wanted to play.
[] samsonov i think wants to recover.

i want to see them put malkin/ovechkin/kovalchuk on the smae line

As for the Crosby issue: I can only see him replacing a taxi squad member who will replace one of 4 draper/doan/bertuzzi/nash. I doubt nash will be removed because he is also apart of Canada's future...bertuzzi plays the same style as nash but i think he deserves a second chance after all he was only really protecting naslund. Draper i read was on for defensive reasons...not really sure abot doan. I'm kinda disappointed that mccabe isn't on there even though he leads the nhl...Obviously he was picked because of his defensive defiencies but the leafs have no defensive core...I see him being a 3rd line D with priority on teh Powerplay.

Last edited:
Yeah, seems like McCabe won't ever make it, tough luck Leafs fans ... or they did put him on 'reserve' I think. Yeah - actually come to think of it, the spots Crosby would be playing (or where he'd be most useful) are currently occupied by such names he'll have to wait until the next 'big' tournament to make it. Great to see how Ovechkin performs with an actual team around him.

Oh right, I've a Scandic keyboard - think forgot to do some editing in previous posts :tongue2: .

neurocomp2003 said:
perennial are you using a russian to english keyboard?
mogilny will never play for russia. after what happen...which sucks because I'm a big almo fan since his sabres days(though he is a bit lazy) and I'm a big russian fan.
[] I'm surprised 3 dynamo players took spots from russians.
[] almost thought they didn't have zhitnik
[] I'm surprised tverdovsky,zubov not so much of a surprise(zubov isn't having a stellar year) mm what's that other allstar defenceman shoot forget his names he played for the canes i think always named with tverdovsky.
[] fedorov i don't think wanted to play.
[] samsonov i think wants to recover.
i want to see them put malkin/ovechkin/kovalchuk on the smae line
As for the Crosby issue: I can only see him replacing a taxi squad member who will replace one of 4 draper/doan/bertuzzi/nash. I doubt nash will be removed because he is also apart of Canada's future...bertuzzi plays the same style as nash but i think he deserves a second chance after all he was only really protecting naslund. Draper i read was on for defensive reasons...not really sure abot doan. I'm kinda disappointed that mccabe isn't on there even though he leads the nhl...Obviously he was picked because of his defensive defiencies but the leafs have no defensive core...I see him being a 3rd line D with priority on teh Powerplay.

I think Canada should have sacrificed Bertuzzi and picked Crosby. I know he's young, but the possibility of a really hard scoring 4th line would be pretty awesome. Draper is there exactly as Neuro said...as a defensive forward. His output has sucked so far this year. He did take a pretty nasty shot to the face earlier though. He may just be adjusting.

... has the dust settled concerning Bertuzzi's selection in the first place, would've thought someone blew a fuse when heard his name among the picked ones?

I didn't really blow a fuse, just kind of said "huh?" When I think of olympic hockey, I don't think of Bertuzzi.

you can't really put crosby's name on the rost especially when 3 olther people i think would be more suitable 2 being the taxi players which are also part of cdn future and kariya who seems to have faded but he's one of the driving forces in nashvilles what 16-6 record or something like that.

oh yeah i remember teh other russian D ...ozolinsh though he probably went to play for one of the other soviet region countries.

FredGarvin said:
Bystander,

Swedes surprised me --- I'd figured Peter Puckhog was going to be healthy enough to lose things in first round tournament for 'em.

1. What is the purpose of the warm-up in Olympic games hockey?

The warm-up in Olympic games hockey is meant to prepare the players physically and mentally for the upcoming game. It helps to increase blood flow and oxygen to the muscles, improve coordination and reaction time, and reduce the risk of injury.

2. How long does the warm-up last in Olympic games hockey?

The warm-up in Olympic games hockey typically lasts for about 20-30 minutes. However, the duration may vary depending on the team's preference and the specific game schedule.

3. What activities are included in the warm-up for Olympic games hockey?

The warm-up for Olympic games hockey usually consists of a combination of dynamic stretching, skating and puck handling drills, passing and shooting exercises, and team-specific drills. The activities are designed to mimic the movements and skills required during the game.

4. Can players skip the warm-up in Olympic games hockey?

No, it is not recommended for players to skip the warm-up in Olympic games hockey. The warm-up is an essential part of the game and helps to prevent injuries and improve performance. Skipping the warm-up may also disrupt the team's synchronization and strategy.

5. Is the warm-up the same for all teams in Olympic games hockey?

No, the warm-up may vary between teams in Olympic games hockey. Each team has its own pre-game routine and may have different warm-up activities and duration. However, all teams must follow the rules and regulations set by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) for the warm-up.

Back