Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Olympics, symbol of peace and stuff. Right.

1. Jul 21, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2004 #2
    What are you scard the soldiers are going to go nuts and kill everyone? Who cares.
  4. Jul 23, 2004 #3
    Entropy's right Adam. The games are a symbol of peace and after Sydney 2000 which truly captivated me, it would be really terrible if the athletes did encounter any trouble.
  5. Jul 23, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're NATO troops, not US or Brit !
  6. Jul 23, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Anyone remember Atlanta '96? In retrospect, it would have been nice had security been a tad bit tighter there.
  7. Jul 23, 2004 #6
    I went to the Atlanta! It rained and we had to leave! :mad:
  8. Jul 23, 2004 #7
    Have you ever seen the catastrophe that was the Munich Olympics and the bungling of a hostage situation by the Germans?

Israeli's were held hostage, the rescuers were trying to enter through the roof, and film crews broadcasted it all live so that the captors saw what was going on by the television and thus the rescue was thwarted. Then it all degraded into a shootout at an airport with friendly fire and all sorts of madness.

But nothing like that would ever happen again, right?
  9. Jul 23, 2004 #8
    Politics often gets involved in the Olympics. USA boycotting the Russian Olympics/Russia boycotting the USA Olympics.

They're sending soldiers in because they think it's a target for terrorists. Since it likely is, I'd much rather have defense there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?