Omega Baryon Decay: Why Create Unnecessary Particles?

In summary: I understand that yout question was how to measure the limit of in-existence of this decay. So your estimate of 10^-12 was not for this branch ratio?Ah ok, I see the misunderstanding. What I mean is that any experiment Sigma-->Lambda will surely measure the Lambda by detecting its decay to pion + nucleon. So if a direct -very exceptional- decay from Sigma to nucleon + pion happens, it should be recorded in the same detectors. They could do some selection on absence of gamma, or just refine the analysis of the distribution of pions (and nucleons).Neutrons are harder to detect than protons. Neutral pions are harder
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello,
Why is there a decay mode of omega baryon that creates unnecessary particles? sss -> uds + u(bar)s and why not just sss -> dss ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot conserve energy and momentum at the same time if one particle decays to exactly one particle with a different mass.

First of all, you can never have a one-to-one decay as this violates conservation of energy. You would need to have additional particles radiated.

Second, there is no interaction which transforms an s-quark into a d-quark. Quark flavour is only broken by charged current weak interactions, in this case converting an s into a u and a W boson, the W boson then couples to the ubar-d pair.

Likes arivero
mfb said:
You cannot conserve energy and momentum at the same time if one particle decays to exactly one particle with a different mass.

Can't the electrons/electron neutrinos carry the momentum?
And could a particle decay into another particle without rest if it had zero momentum?

Garlic said:
Can't the electrons/electron neutrinos carry the momentum?

Then you have additional particles that you need to create. Why do you think that would be simpler than going to a baryon and a meson?

Garlic said:
And could a particle decay into another particle without rest if it had zero momentum?
No.

Orodruin said:
Then you have additional particles that you need to create. Why do you think that would be simpler than going to a baryon and a meson?No.

The electron/neutrino comes from the weak decay that turns the strange quark into down quark, can't that electron/neutrino carry momentum?

That could be another possible decay, didn't check it in detail. In general, every possible decay happens, just the branching fractions differ.

Edit: It is, but the decay to ##\Lambda K## is much more frequent.

Garlic said:
Hello

My favorite baryon decay is Sigma0, mass 1192, goes gamma + Lambda, mass 1116, and then Lambda goes neutron + pion, or proton + pion.

Quark content is the same: uds. Spin and parity, the same too, 1/2+.

But sigma0 can not go directly to neutron + pion, or has not been measured doing it.

arivero said:
But sigma0 can not go directly to neutron + pion, or has not been measured doing it.
It is strange that the PDG does not even list an upper limit. It looks like an obvious decay channel to search for.

mfb said:
It looks like an obvious decay channel to search for.

A. How would you do this experiment?
B. What sort of BF would you expect? Remember, this is a weak decay competing with an electromagnetic decay. Also, it violates the [itex]\Delta S = \Delta Q[/itex] rule. I'd be guessing 10^-12 or so.

Oh right, there is no strong decay. Nevermind.
Vanadium 50 said:
Look at the invariant mass of the decay products.

Vanadium 50 said:
B. What sort of BF would you expect? Remember, this is a weak decay competing with an electromagnetic decay. Also, it violates the [itex]\Delta S = \Delta Q[/itex] rule. I'd be guessing 10^-12 or so.

Well, the same experiment which is measuring the decay to Lambda surely is already measuring its pion distribution, so it could look for pions happening with a different one. For the branching ratio, I'd go more on the 10^-9 or 10^-10, but well, this is the goal of publishing limits, isn't it?

Let me attach as reference one of my traditional plots of total decay width vs mass, as a guide for estimates. it could be remarked that there is some help from QCD in the electromagnetic decays: the blue an green parallel lines are the scaling of orto and parapositronium, the light blue is where electromagnetic decays of mesons actually live.

mw2015fermionium.png

Last edited:
arivero said:
Well, the same experiment which is measuring the decay to Lambda surely is already measuring its pion distribution

Huh? The Sigma0 decays to Lambda + gamma. No pions.

arivero said:
Well, the same experiment which is measuring the decay to Lambda surely is already measuring its pion distribution, so it could look for pions happening with a different one. For the branching ratio, I'd go more on the 10^-9 or 10^-, but well, this is the goal of publishing limits, isn't it?
Vanadium 50 said:
Huh? The Sigma0 decays to Lambda + gamma. No pions.

I understood that yout question was how to measure the limit of in-existence of this decay. So your estimate of 10^-12 was not for this branch ratio?

Ah ok, I see the misunderstanding. What I mean is that any experiment Sigma-->Lambda will surely measure the Lambda by detecting its decay to pion + nucleon. So if a direct -very exceptional- decay from Sigma to nucleon + pion happens, it should be recorded in the same detectors. They could do some selection on absence of gamma, or just refine the analysis of the distribution of pions (and nucleons).

Neutrons are harder to detect than protons. Neutral pions are harder to detect than charged pions. The vast, vast majority of Lambdas are seen in the p-pi mode, not n-pi0. Indeed, the modern way to get rare Lambda decays is to look only at Lambdas from Sigma decay and use that as a kinematic constraint in the reconstruction.

1. What is Omega Baryon Decay?

Omega Baryon Decay is a process in particle physics where a type of subatomic particle called an omega baryon (Ω) decays into other particles, typically a proton and a pion. This process occurs due to the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature.

2. Why study Omega Baryon Decay?

Studying Omega Baryon Decay can help physicists better understand the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental forces that govern them. It can also provide insights into the structure of matter and the origins of the universe.

3. What is the significance of creating unnecessary particles?

Creating unnecessary particles through processes like Omega Baryon Decay allows scientists to test and validate current theories and models of particle physics. It also enables them to discover new particles and potentially uncover new laws of nature.

4. How is Omega Baryon Decay different from other types of particle decay?

Omega Baryon Decay is unique because it involves the decay of a baryon, a type of subatomic particle made up of three quarks. This differs from other types of particle decay, such as meson decay, which involves the decay of a particle made up of a quark and an antiquark.

5. Can Omega Baryon Decay occur naturally?

Yes, Omega Baryon Decay can occur naturally in certain environments, such as in high-energy collisions between particles or in the decay of unstable atoms. However, it is also studied in controlled laboratory settings to better understand its properties and implications for particle physics.