1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Omega Man

1. Dec 4, 2003 #1
    I first read this story in New Scientist when I was collecting it. Here are some highlights:

The article has been reposted here: http://www.you.com.au/news/362.htm and in many other places.

Any comments?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder what Chaitin himself thinks of this article.

Unfortunately, newspaper and magazine writers, writing about science or mathematics that they don't understand have a tendency to over-dramatise. Sounds to me like an extension of Goedel's work. And the "omega" of the title is a particular example of a non-computable number. We've known they exist for some time.

4. Dec 5, 2003 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Chaitin has written stuff himself that is scarcely less lurid than this. He is, um, _very enthusiastic_ about his theory and his place in history.

5. Dec 5, 2003 #4
    anybody understood the part with Diophantine equations from the article?

6. Dec 5, 2003 #5
    A number with no structure... Randomness... sounds saucy, and it reminds me of QM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook