I Just Had an Interview at Fermilab

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone getting a job at Fermilab, a research facility focused on particle accelerators. They had previously applied for many internships with no success and are excited about the opportunity. They have a mechanical engineering major but the position is in computer science. They have a second interview and ultimately get the job. Their friends congratulate them and offer advice for their future at Fermilab. Overall, the person is grateful and excited for this career opportunity.
brendank
I'm speechless, I had an interview this afternoon to work at Fermilab this summer. I pray that I get the job.

Physics news on Phys.org
zomg biskets.

I never heard of Fermilab.

brendank said:
I'm speechless, I had an interview this afternoon to work at Fermilab this summer. I pray that I get the job.
That's great! I hope you get it!

The thing is, I've submitted close to a hundred internship applications to numerous companies and research programs and either received the shaft or nothing at all. I'm just excited to hear from some one, let alone Fermilab. It made my day for sure!

Just being invited to interview is an honor.

I hope you get in! That would just be fantastic on a resume. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

What is your major exactly? I've visited the facility, it is a particle accelerator lover's dream. I heard that currently, Fermi lab is the biggest accelerator, does Argon have a bigger one? it is also in my state. Well, good luck on the interview.

Thanks guys!

My major is mechanical engineering but oddly enough, the position is in computer science and related to super computers. I was interviewed because I had some UNIX and programming experience in high school that I put on my resume. I would definitely work on a computer science project regardless of my major, it is still interesting to me. I don't even know how excited I should be. I have my hopes up which might be setting myself up for disappointment but I don't know.

OMG! I had a second interview today!

VERY EXCITING! Good luck.

Good Luck man!

Good luck, and if you're at Fermilab for a summer internship, be sure to join us for the PF gathering in Chicago! :biggrin:

I Got the job! I'm going to Fermilab!

brendank said:

Congratulations! :biggrin:

Fantastic! Congratulations on what I'm sure is the beginning of a great career.

Congratulations, great job.

That is really great, hope you enjoy it!

With all due respect, your chances of getting in are just astronomical.

JUST KIDDING - GOOD LUCK!

brendank said:
Excellent! Congratulations! Keep up the good work.

That is awesome congratulations! That will be such a great experience!

Congratulations! Whatever you do later, Fermilab is going to look awfully good on your resume.

Congrats man, and all the very best for a great future.
Oh, and say hi to the fermions for me.

arunbg said:
Congrats man, and all the very best for a great future.
Oh, and say hi to the fermions for me.
Well, you can say "Hi!" to Rocky Kolb for me. Whenever I see an on-line lecture by Bullwinkle's buddy, :devil: I bookmark it and watch it at least once or twice.

brendank said:

Great news. Work hard & enjoy. Be a good team-player & you're likely in for the long-haul. Best of success.

brendank said:

Congrats! :biggrin: :smile: :biggrin: :smile:

Thank you guys so much. I'm so excited, beyond words.

Nice Job buddy. I bet it feels good! Enjoy it. Not everyone gets an experience like that!

1. What is Fermilab?

Fermilab is a national laboratory in the United States that conducts research in high-energy physics, focusing on particle accelerators and detectors. It is operated by the U.S. Department of Energy and is located in Batavia, Illinois.

2. What kind of research is conducted at Fermilab?

Fermilab is primarily focused on research in high-energy physics, including studies of subatomic particles and their interactions. This research contributes to our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origins of the universe.

3. What is the interview process like at Fermilab?

The interview process at Fermilab typically involves multiple rounds of interviews, including phone and in-person interviews. These interviews may include technical questions related to the specific job, as well as questions about your experience and qualifications.

4. What kinds of positions are available at Fermilab?

Fermilab offers a wide range of positions for scientists, engineers, technicians, and support staff. These positions may be in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and more. Available positions can be found on the Fermilab website.

5. What qualifications or experience are required for a position at Fermilab?

The qualifications and experience required for a position at Fermilab vary depending on the specific job. Generally, a strong background in the relevant field and a passion for high-energy physics research are important. Specific job postings will outline the necessary qualifications and experience in more detail.