Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OMG i like have the worst homework problem ever!111;(

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    Ok, so like i am in this very complicated philosophie of math course with like a little science fiction writing on the side for extra credit, so since the class is like a joke cause i mean it is philosophy after all and not maths (rock on math! why is it that math seems to be useful in everything?_) philosophy is so like subjective sometimes, prefer hardcore math myself just now taking this course past the withdrawal date so im stuck in a way intellectually trapped or locked in god damn metaphors always breaking down...basically i need assistance on writing a piece on kurt godel and perhaps this like "real" "rosebud" "reason" for deriving or discovering or inventing this new like incompleteness theorem, it was a slap in the face to most but over time they had to get over it i think, but there is the social side of godel that as i writer i am drawn to. Like the circumstances of his death or his birth and his political allegiances, he seemed to be like this fervent anti fascist that no one could take seriously because they thought of him as some weirdo genius but surely no one they had to listen to when it came to politics or perhaps political systems. What could godel have done had he been placed in charge of the presidency especially at a time when nazi germany was in the fool swing of things over in europe. Alternative history science fictiony is the way i am gonna go with the story but i am writing i suppose to see if anyone had any personal conspiracy theories or just personal impressions about not only his mathematical genius but his troubled private side as well. thanks. looking forward to reading what you have to say.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say! Take a deep breath and write in short sentences.

4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    Are you taking the piss?

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4
    so like to make the question more simpler and clearer ill rephrase it to the following: why do you think godel came up with his theorem when he did?

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because "the time was ripe". Many times theorems are discovered by several people independently at about the same time, because the foundations had been laid by others. I expect that's the case here, too.

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6
    You may consider improving your grammar and word usage habits. :-/

At any rate, if you are going for something out there you can just tie his mathematics into mysticism and play on the Nazi/mysticism connection. You may need to study some occult books for good tie ins. Crowley insisted that knowledge of physics and mathematics was a core requirement for understanding high magic. There's the Golden Dawn, OTO, and even the Theosophists whom you can study about all from the same era.

8. Apr 4, 2009 #7
    What?

9. Apr 4, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

The use of punctuation would definitely help, regardless of the content. Your post was painful to read. It would be best that you learn how to write before worrying about what to write. Any valid idea will be far more acceptable if the reader doesn't have to figure out what the hell you're trying to express.

10. Apr 4, 2009 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My thoughts too.

11. Apr 4, 2009 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Does this mean something different in the US? To me, it's what I was doing right before responding to this, as a result of too much beer. :confused:

12. Apr 4, 2009 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Taking the piss" in Britain means the same as "putting you on" in the US. Strangely enough, in Britain "putting you on" actually means what it says.

13. Apr 4, 2009 #12

Danger

Gold Member

That's the only down-side to being a Canuck; I'm trapped between two linguistic worlds. Thanks for the clarification.
    Now if you'll excuse me, I've finished another beer and must go take a... (you know)...

14. Apr 4, 2009 #13
    i like the mysticism idea, although in trying to be consistent with godel's political beliefs i think i am gonna have him battle the dark forces with his own brand of mysticism...****, its starting to sound cliche. has anyone read the Egyptian book of the dead? I hear that it is pretty bizarre, i wonder if i can get a copy at the used book store by me...Do you think in the story that Einstein should make an appearance, and if so, in what form? Similar to those really old looking hermits in the martial arts movies of yesteryear who had like awesome powers, like mister roshi in dbz for instance...

15. Apr 4, 2009 #14
    I hope your homework is for english 101.

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

rhododendron, I assume you're trolling, no one writes verbal pauses. If that's how you really write, which I doubt, (certainly your teachers would not have allowed this), then your first priority should be to learn how to speak and write clearly. Uhm, like, ya know?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  17. Apr 4, 2009 #16

Danger

Gold Member

That should be your teachers... :uhh:
    Not to seem trollish, but... :rolleyes:

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Evo bans Danger. :grumpy:

Hey, I wrote that right after I woke up, I made quite a few typos, missed that one!

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:
    Love you too, sweetie. :smile:

20. Apr 5, 2009 #19
    The Book of the Dead, as far as I know, deals with death and rebirth.

As far as political beliefs go the Theosophical society was/is rather progressive. Annie Passant, one of their iconic leaders from that era, was a feminist and lesbian. Their primary goal was to reconcile all the worlds religions (finding the fragments of "Truth" in each) aswell as philosophy, mysticism, and science.

Aleister Crowley is generally a rather notorious figure, having identified himself with the AntiChrist, and could make an interesting antagonist.

Unfortunately all of these organizations and people require quite a bit of study to understand and properly represent in a story.

As a bit of advice, if you are just writing a short story, you should find one moment in Godel's life and focus one it. Maybe two. Find one from his childhood or teenage years and one from his adult life and connect them (this is certainly cliche but effective). For good historical fiction try to find a moment that corresponds roughly with one where he could have met the historical figure or society you plan to introduce (if any). Study the events, both personal and general, surrounding this event and know them fairly well. If you find a good one connections should start clicking into place as you study. Then you should make your story between one and three scenes in structure (including any flashbacks). And remember that less is more. Especially with the sort of genre you are suggesting you ought to maintain the feeling of mystery by not embroidering your story with too many details and facts. Subtlety and hints, preferably not of the nudge-nudge-wink-wink variety, can be used to fill in the details. Erm.. I guess it depends on your assignment too. If the teacher/professor wants detail you should add it. Just try to make sure it doesn't disturb the flow of your story.

Alright, I'll stop lecturing. Have fun! :-)

21. Apr 5, 2009 #20

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We are always ready with our constructive criticism to students and beginners. :biggrin:

As a writer (click here) --> http://www.youfail.org/ :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook