• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Programs Omg, why do I have to take these classes for a math degree?

• Thread starter leright
  • Start date
yeah i know...i read the webpage you linked =] that why i suggested those. There pretty standard...unless you go further into 3D graphics/physics(either in simulations/game/realtime rendering of physics) I suggest the NumAnalII or Datastructures(unless you have a firm grasp of it). Contact me and i can give you some good references. Sedgwick in my opinion is one of the better books/series but his books are pricy). Data structures should be easier to learn on your own.

Last edited:
Very seriously, I've learned the hard way that if you want a degree you are much better off just taking the easiest courses you can find to get the initial undergraduate degree and then worry about studying stuff for real after that.
I disagree. I'm paying over $30,000 a year for my education, and I would be wasting my money if I were to take easy classes just because they are easy. Given the choice between spending my money on easy classes where I learn a little, or spending my money on challenging classes where I learn a lot, why would I do the former? To make my GPA slightly better? I certainly wouldn't graduate any sooner.

Its not that knowing a programming language will be beneficial in your career, though it may be. Programming classes help you to think in different ways, help you to further develop and become more efficient with your problem solving skills and also introduces you to different technologies and ideas. It is my opinion that everyone should have to be introduced to computer programming no matter what the field. The skills developed in computer programming are very beneficial to your later math/science classes as long as you take the classes seriously and try to get the most out of them.