Explore the Wonders of Pacific Island Movies

• Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, some people have enjoyed watching movies with nature and science footage. Some people have also enjoyed watching movies with special effects. Some people have also enjoyed watching movies with a plot.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Has anyone ever experienced one of these movies? I just watched "Coral Reef" and was entranced by the beautiful film footage of the pacific islands...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen many of these and they were all great. My wife just saw the Coral Reef as well. She love it! The theater at OMSI is really not as good as some others though. If you ever get the chance, watch some of these in other cities as well. Some years ago we went to the Smithsonian and spend an entire day watching these things.

Ya I've seen a lot of those movies. Most are science and nature movies, but lately it's become mainstream, and I recently saw the last star wars movie on it.

One of the best ones I saw was a flyover of the grand canyon. at first he's flying 50 feet off the ground, but then he reaches the edge of the canyon, and it's sheer vertigo as he goes into a dive. It rocked!

is this the same thing as the IMAX?

They have Matrix Reloaded playing on those now.

In fact, I may see Bugs or The Magic of Flight tomorrow.

Originally posted by brum
is this the same thing as the IMAX?

They have Matrix Reloaded playing on those now.

In fact, I may see Bugs or The Magic of Flight tomorrow.

Same thing...at least basically. We have the OmniMax at OMSI in Portland Oregon. There may some technical differences as I have seen several theater designs.

Actually there is a difference. OmniMax theatres are domed, 360 degree visually surrounded theatres, where IMAX theatres are simply really big flat screens. I've been to both, and while the IMAX is stunning, it doesn't compare to the realism of OMNIMAX. I remember actually getting woozy at times from vertigo and other sensations while watching the OMNIMAX movies. It's that realistic.

As far as I know, there's only a half a dozen or so Omnimax theatres in the world. (the one I saw was the science center in Michigan, USA. You'll know the difference, because the projector is actually about a dozen or so separate lenses that project a different part of the image on each area of the dome. And actually it's technically only about a 120 degree angle, though they don't bill it as such, however if you're sitting in your seat, it goes back as far as you can see. And these are specially made movies just for the omni max, because you have to film it with multiple cameras and convert it to the multi-camera projectors to view it on. That's why you'll never see mainstream movies there, just science and nature films... They're custom made.

EDIT:

Apparently IMAX and OMNIMAX films are produced by the same company. The difference still lies in the dome VS the flat screen.

http://www.msichicago.org/omax/aboutomni.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, the omnimax theather is curved to suit the periphial vision, so the film surrounds your vision...of course, the cost of the 45 minute movie is double that of a matinee...

If possible, see the one made from the space shuttle. It was as close to being there as anything I've experienced.

The only decent Omnimax movies are the space and underwater exploration documentaries. I once went to one that was a dramatic movie with a plot about the discovery of panda bears by a white woman... oh my God did that suck. I was ready to go postal after wasting my time on that sh:t.

eNtRopY

Well actually they do have a ton of them, they're just not in circulation anymore. I went about 15 years ago, which was when I saw the grand canyon one, which was awesome, and there was also one on tropical rain forests and the amazon which was decent.

I have seen numerous movies on both screens and I actually prefer the IMAX screen. The OMNIMAX screen is made up of numerous smaller screens and I find the separations between the screens (making a faint grid pattern all over the movie) very distracting. I recently saw 'The Living Sea' and 'Dolphins' on an IMAX screen at the Polynesian Cultural center in Hawaii and they were STUNNING! Music was done by Sting (not OUR Sting - as least I don't THINK it's our Sting! ) and is MAGNIFICENT as well. 'To Fly' is another excellent one, although this one has been around for 20 years or so. As Ivan said, ANY space shuttle (or just plain space) movies are a must-see!

On a trip to DC a few weeks back I saw an IMAX space shuttle movie that used 3D glasses for the whole film. Now that was pretty cool. :smile:

1. What is the significance of Pacific Island movies?

Pacific Island movies are significant because they showcase the diverse cultures, traditions, and histories of the Pacific Island region. These movies also bring attention to important issues and challenges faced by Pacific Island communities, such as climate change and cultural preservation. They provide a platform for Pacific Islanders to share their stories and perspectives with a global audience.

2. What are some notable Pacific Island movies?

Some notable Pacific Island movies include "Moana," "Whale Rider," "Once Were Warriors," "The Land Has Eyes," and "The Orator." These movies have gained international recognition and have received critical acclaim for their portrayal of Pacific Island cultures and themes.

3. What themes are commonly explored in Pacific Island movies?

Common themes explored in Pacific Island movies include the importance of community and family, the relationship between humans and nature, cultural identity and preservation, and the effects of colonialism and globalization on traditional ways of life. Many Pacific Island movies also highlight the strength and resilience of Pacific Island communities in the face of challenges.

4. How have Pacific Island movies evolved over time?

Pacific Island movies have evolved from being primarily produced by Western filmmakers for Western audiences to being created and directed by Pacific Islanders themselves. This shift has allowed for more authentic and diverse representations of Pacific Island cultures and experiences. Additionally, advancements in technology and access to funding have also contributed to the growth and development of Pacific Island cinema.

5. How can I support Pacific Island movies?

You can support Pacific Island movies by watching and sharing them, attending film festivals that feature Pacific Island cinema, and supporting Pacific Island filmmakers by purchasing their work. You can also educate yourself about the cultures and issues portrayed in these movies, and support organizations that work towards promoting and preserving Pacific Island cultures.