1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On a Ferris Wheel

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    Hi folks,

Would appreciate any help with this problem

A chemistry student with a mass of 74 kg is riding a steadily moving Ferris wheel. When she is at the top of the Ferris wheel, the normal force from the seat on to her body has a magnitude of 556 N.

a)What is the magnitude of the normal force on her body when she is at the bottom of the Ferris wheel's arc?

I figured out the answer to this question,

But I am stuck with part B
    b ) What would the normal force be on the student at the top of the wheel if the wheel's velocity were doubled?
    Plz help

Thanks a million!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2
    Consider the force on her. You got mg pulling down, negative centripetal force trying to make her leave her seat and the resulting force is 556N downward because the normal force from the seat is 556N. doubling the velocity increases the negative centripetal force by what factor?

4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

I figured out that if velocity is doubled mv^2/R increases by a factor of 4.

but, how do I setup the equation.

5. Oct 22, 2004 #4
    I beg you folks to help me on how to setup the equation for the 2nd part.

Thanks,

Naeem

6. Oct 22, 2004 #5
    Finally got this one. Thanks anyway

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?