Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On a lighter note

1. May 5, 2004 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

What about reality do you find most convincing? or unconvincing?

Me, stubbing my toe into something is pretty convincing ;)
    Having conversations with 'other people' is pretty convincing.

Happy thoughts
    Rachel

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2004 #2
    most convincing part of my reality is that it all feels so real. yet it doesn't seem real.

Why? i do not know.

4. May 8, 2004 #3
    Anytime I interact with other people, reality is more concrete. It is when my mind is left to its own devices that I ever begin to question reality. Shared experience with others is a way of determining that reality exists (if everybody did everything I expected them to, I would start questioning reality BIG TIME).

5. May 8, 2004 #4
    Pain is real. So is food :D

6. May 10, 2004 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Funny, if everybody did everything I expected them to, I'd celebrate :rofl:

(yes, I just wanted to use the new smiley)

7. May 10, 2004 #6
    If everybody thought alike, nobody would need ME! :cry: (love these new smileys!)

8. May 10, 2004 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The fact that I so vehemently hate emoticons is quite real to me.

9. May 10, 2004 #8
    They should make a smiley for that!

10. May 11, 2004 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

How would you rank the reliability of the senses, if pressed? Do you believe one sense more than another? For instance, if it looks like an orange, smells like a banana, feels like a pineapple, sounds like a coconut, and tastes like an apple- what is it? :yuck:
    I am most doubtful of sight, then touch, sound, smell, and taste. Loosely, in order of complexity.
    Happy thoughts
    Rachel

11. May 11, 2004 #10
    I distrust sound the most. I have been fooled many times by a sound I've heard for which my mind then ascribed an explanation which turned out to be false.

My smell and taste were compromised by cigarettes and alcohol, and even after more than ten years of abstinence they are my weakest senses. I will say that smells do have a long memory and tend to evoke images from the past with amazing accuracy.

Touch and sight, when coupled, are my most reliable senses. I realize they can be fooled, but in my experience they tell me most about my reality.

12. May 11, 2004 #11

Njorl

Science Advisor

The things I find convincing are the things that seem to be done poorly. If I were living in an artificial construction there would be no phlegm. I just can't imagine that any super-intelligent being would include phlegm in any universe it made up.

Njorl

13. May 11, 2004 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I agree, touch and sight complement each other the best.

What? How can you not appreciate phlegm- why, if I designed the world, everything would be made of phlegm! :biggrin:

Hope I'm not annoying everyone, but I like these kinds of questions.
    If you could add *one* of the following to your current abilities, which would you choose?
    Omnipotence, omnibenevolence, omnipresence, omnificence, omniscience, or any other "omni[blank]"? I think I would choose omnipotence. hmm... must think :grumpy:

14. May 11, 2004 #13

Njorl

Science Advisor

One of my favorite quotes from the x-files:

15. May 11, 2004 #14
    Phlegm is OK with me; getting a mouthful of the substance out of my system when I'm sick is one of those great little pleasures in life.

Omnipotence without omniscience is too dangerous. Omniscience is not desirable; there are things I'd rather not know. Omnibenevolence.. are you kidding? Omnipresence... hmmm, travel is a lot more fun. Omnificence... I'm too busy already.

I think I'd choose omniaffluence - an endless supply of money! And a little omnivirility wouldn't hurt either :tongue2:

16. May 12, 2004 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

If you were omnipotent, you could make yourself omniscience and omnibenevolence and whatever other omni[blank] you wanted ;)
    Would any of you not trust yourself with unlimited power?

17. May 13, 2004 #16
    If you had unlimited power you could make your self into a perfect being who knows all. Would you trust yourself with unlimited power if you were perfect? I would.

18. May 17, 2004 #17

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

If I were omnipotent, I would get rid of all emoticons.

19. May 17, 2004 #18
    Perfection is a highly unstable state. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle says your perfection would eventually diminish, then you would be left with imperfect omnipotence.

I keep thinking if I won $50 million in the lottery I would use the money for good instead of just being another flashy millionaire. But I just know that not having to earn my way in life would affect me in a bad way no matter what.

20. May 17, 2004 #19

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Ah, but if you are omnipotent, the uncertainty principle only holds if you make it hold- you can do- or undo- whatever you want. You don't have to obey any rules, not even your own. loseyourname could get rid of :surprise: before it existed. It's a crazy idea.

21. May 18, 2004 #20
    :yuck: :eek: :biggrin: :wink: :rofl: :frown: :cry: :zzz: :mad: :uhh: :surprise: :redface: :devil: :grumpy: :rolleyes: :approve: :smile: :confused: :shy: :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?