Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Aikido

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1
    The marshal art of Aikido is based on and is all about the law of lever.
    Steven Sigal says: “Nobody bits me in the kitchen!”
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Finally something that we can agree upon (sort of). Aikido and jiu-jitsu rely on an understanding of leverage.
    Don't get me started on Seagal. He should spend less time in the kitchen, if you know what I mean. (He's getting soft!) :wink:
  4. Mar 28, 2004 #3
    Archimedes used to say that give him a place to stand and he can use the level to move the earth.

At his time, there was no quantum physics and Planck constant. So he couldn't have known that the action principle is based on the level.

100 years later, Planck couldn't have known about particle physics, quantum field theories with all its problems of uniting the forces of nature. Now, the Higgs field can be explained by using the principle of double actions, which is based on applying the level twice.

Mass and Energy can be described by the principle of double levels action.

This double levels principle is a Local Infinitesimal Motion (LIM) of one dimensional space.

The problem is how to use existing math to describe the LIM and to assert that this LIM is conserved and is another invariant quantity of nature by the principle of directional invariance.
  5. Mar 28, 2004 #4
    A first shot at its math expression for the double action is:

[tex]r_i \times F_i \cdot r_j \times F_j[/tex]
  6. Mar 29, 2004 #5
    Ok, I expected an equal sign in your reply but you have my attention any way. I’m curious if that double lever thing of yours can finally give me the vector relation of the forces and distances in a multi particle lever as shown here: www.geocities.com/dr_physica/bla_bla.htm

Also, I doubt that vector product can have anything to do with it cause it depends on the angle between the crossing vectors thus it doesn't cover collinear vectors for instance.
  7. Mar 29, 2004 #6
    Torque is equal to the vector product of r and F.

[tex]r \times F[/tex]

The scalar product of two torques is the square of energy and if energy is conserved then the square of energy is also conserved. LIM is conserved because the square of energy is conserved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?