Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On Capitol Hill, Military Warns of Being under Strain

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1

Tsu

Gold Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/iraq/la-fg-troops18nov18,0,6045845,print.story

Getting ready for the draft?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
  4. Nov 20, 2004 #3
    What? HE LIED AGAIN!!?? HE SAID HE WOULDNT DO IT ANYMORE... wait.. did he?
    oh, it was just CNN. Oh. Ok.

5. Nov 20, 2004 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

No, but I keep hearing democrats saying they want one and we need one. Who'da thought democrats would want a draft? Go figure. :rolleyes:

6. Nov 20, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ, the "democrats wanting the draft" myth has been debunked here .

7. Nov 20, 2004 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"They're guessing."

The Bush administration hasn't listened to the military so far and they don't listen to the CIA. What makes you think this testimony means anything?

8. Nov 20, 2004 #7
    <---- Moving to New Zealand anyways....

9. Nov 20, 2004 #8

russ_watters

Could you be more specific? In that thread, it is quite clearly established that the draft issue was, in fact, a Democratic ploy. From Plover's post #13:
    Perhaps you're referring to the Republicans turning the issue around on the Democrats - bringing the issue to a vote so it could be defeated. Clever, indeed.

And thank you for reminding me of Ivan's post, which I said I'd remember but forgot about:
    Well, its after the election and the Republican party is still not pushing for a draft, I still don't support the draft, and Democrats are still trying to keep the issue up.

10. Nov 20, 2004 #9
    I don't know what you're talking about, that thread clearly shows that the democrats were the only ones bringing up a draft to scare people (or rather it was clearly stated not clearlyshown).

And Tsu, unlike you and Ivan some of us, while not desiring a draft, wouldn't flee to canada to get away from it. If a draft comes, then I'll go to serve my country. Its called duty, and I'll serve mine honorably if i have to. More than can be said for you.

11. Nov 20, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Well, franz, both Ivan and I have been fortunate enough to have had our 'service' years land in between war-mongers Nixon and Bush. Therefore, neither of us have to worry about the draft for ourselves. We are however, worried for our friends and family. Until you have lost close friends or family in an unjust and illegal war, you won't know what the hell you're talking about. But you just go ahead and sign up and go do your 'duty'. What are you doing sitting in school now for? GO FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY!! I'd like to see that. You will quickly learn just what honor really is. That would be good for you because you have displayed absolutely none of it on any of these boards that I have seen.

12. Nov 20, 2004 #11
    The people in the military now are there by choice. They knew what they signed on for. They knew (or should have known) that it was potentially dangerous. It was brave decision on their part, and i respect them for that. I have made a personal habit of thanking every veteran i have personally met, because i do owe them a debt of gratitude.

You're right, i'm not currently enlisted, nor do i have plans to voluntarily enlist. That is a choice. But IF i am needed sufficiently that I am drafted, I will go, without hesitation or equivocation.

As for Nixon being a war-monger, our involvement in the war ended under him, awar he inherited from johnson i recall. Nixon definitely had other failings, but war-mongering i do not recall as being one of them.

13. Nov 21, 2004 #12

kat

Just about every post of yours i've read lately sounds like a ranting, mouth foaming diatribe that usually ends in some sort either subtle or outright personal attack...maybe you're suffering from P.E.S.T.? i'm concerned for you....seek some help..please...it's just never too late. :frown:

14. Nov 21, 2004 #13

GENIERE

Science Advisor

Month after month, I've been waiting for you to be wrong. Finally!

15. Nov 21, 2004 #14
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It had to happen eventually.

16. Nov 21, 2004 #15
    Mission Accomplished.. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!

17. Nov 21, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ, you claimed that it's democrats that "want a draft" (and you say this in the present continuous). The linked thread shows that the last time the dems showed interest in the draft was about 2 years ago...and the reasons for that are understood. That the dems may want it to look like a draft is inevitable (irrespective of whether that's the truth or not) is hugely different from them wanting a draft.

18. Nov 21, 2004 #17

russ_watters

The difference between 'we need,' 'we want,' and 'we should have' is spin and you can have it however you want it. My point was simply that this is a Democrat issue.

19. Nov 21, 2004 #18

kat

As I remember it, and I may bother to search out the bill and it's history...I looked at the .gov site at both bills several times over the last year and I remember, expecting it to be just sitting in committee, how surprised I was to find that the most recent Democratic signatory had recently signed on. I believe it was either very late spring or summer. It really struck me as odd that the Dems were continueing to sign on to a bill that presumably had been created as a protest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?