On China and IQ research

• Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date
Seems to be a real thing.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2011/07/china-at-work-on-finding-the-iq-genes-and-then-what/

This research is certainly interesting. I think it's about time someone started doing this kind of work. Personally, I think finding the "ingredients" for intelligence is going to be more complex then BGI Shenzen is imagining. Nevertheless, this can only contribute to our knowledge of genetics and neuroscience.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=678891

Hopefully this thread plays out better (and by hopefully, I mean you either provide a legitimate source, or this thread will ultimately be locked down).

All predispositions of psychology or neuroscience (essentially biological psychology) aside, I did find this piece from my psychology textbook (Psychology 8th edition by David Meyers, for the interested) to be very accurate and well written:

Psychologists debate: Should we consider intelligence as one aptitude or many? As linked to cognitive speed? As neurologically measurable? Yet, intelligence experts do agree on this; Intelligence is a concept and not a "thing." When we refer to someone's "IQ" (short for intelligence quotient) as if it were a fixed and objectively real trait like height, we commit a reasoning error called reification- viewing an abstract, immaterial concept as if it were a concrete thing. To reify is to invent a concept, give it a name, and then convince ourselves that such a thing objectively exists in the world. When someone says, "She has an IQ of 120," they are reifying IQ; they are imagining IQ to be a thing one has, rather than a score once obtained on a particular intelligence test. One should say, "Her score on the intelligence test was 120."

Creating a populous that is more adept at taking IQ tests does not seem to be very beneficial to me; instead finding ways to improve work habits, motivation, and a desire to learn would, in my opinion, produce a more productive society than simply having fast puzzle solvers would.

And there has to be a source out there somewhere that isn't just a blog.......

Evo
Mentor
And there has to be a source out there somewhere that isn't just a blog.......
And not 2 years old.