On-demand TV here - Joost

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yesterday, we were The Venice Project™. Today, we're Joost™. Tomorrow, we're yours! Imagine having infinite choice, and TV that is truly interactive. TV anywhere, anytime...

This is the year. Joost™ is coming. Sign up for our beta today

Joost™ is a new way of watching TV on the internet, which uses new and established technologies to provide the best of both the internet and TV worlds. We're in the process of making it as TV-like as we can, with programmes, channels and adverts. You can also see some things that we think will enhance the TV experience: searching for programmes and channels, for example, as well as social features like chat. There are many more new features to come! [continued]
http://www.joost.com/FAQ.html

Recently I've been enjoying the fact that I can watch shows like Meet the Press on demand, but the long promised on-demand TV may finally be coming of age. They are talking about virtually an unlimited number of channels.

I can only imagine how this will shape the entertainment industry.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

turbo
Gold Member
I have been on the sign-up list for the Beta for a while. If someone here can give me a Joost invitation, I'd appreciate it. I live in an area that is not served by cable, and there is darned little science/tech programming on the networks and NPR.

Evo
Mentor
I have been on the sign-up list for the Beta for a while. If someone here can give me a Joost invitation, I'd appreciate it. I live in an area that is not served by cable, and there is darned little science/tech programming on the networks and NPR.
What about satellite?

ranger
Gold Member
I signed up when it was known as The Venice Project. I never used my account before. But since someone brought it up, I just downloaded the Joost client and its pretty cool! But I have a low end machine, so I'm not getting the full experience :( I dont have any invites right now. Mayb they are not taking in any more beta testers or its becuase my account just became active. I'm not sure.

turbo
Gold Member
I signed up when it was known as The Venice Project. I never used my account before. But since someone brought it up, I just downloaded the Joost client and its pretty cool! But I have a low end machine, so I'm not getting the full experience :( I dont have any invites right now. Mayb they are not taking in any more beta testers or its becuase my account just became active. I'm not sure.
What kind of machine do you need? I would think that just about any old machine would do, as long as you have sufficient bandwidth (cable/DSL) to pull down the content. I've got 1.5Mb DSL and a high-end Dell - way overkill for net surfing.

ranger
Gold Member
What kind of machine do you need? I would think that just about any old machine would do, as long as you have sufficient bandwidth (cable/DSL) to pull down the content. I've got 1.5Mb DSL and a high-end Dell - way overkill for net surfing.
Here are the requirements as listed in the beta test area:

Operating system

* Windows XP Service Pack 2
* DirectX 9.0c

Hardware

The Joost™ software should be capable of running on computer systems that are up to three years old. The minimum hardware requirements are:

* Pentium 4 processor, 1GHz
* 512Mb or more RAM.
* A modern video card with DirectX support and at least 32Mb of VRAM.
* About 500 MB free disk space; The Joost™ software is a 10 MB download, expanding to 30-35 MB on disk. The remainder is used as a cache.

Internet connection

* Broadband/ADSL (1Mbit/s downstream, 512Kbit/s upstream recommended, although lower speeds may well work)
* 1 hour of viewing is 320 Megabytes downloaded and 105 Megabytes uploaded, which means that it will exhaust a 1 Gigabyte cap in 10 hours (see below)

turbo
Gold Member
Thanks, my machine will handle that with ease if they ever register me for the Beta.

ranger
Gold Member
turbo-1, I have a couple of invitations. If you still need one, just PM your email address.