Exploring Quantum Gravity's Impact on Quantum Mechanics

In summary: They just point out that the idea is not a new one and has a long history, and they list some related papers. In summary, Quantum gravity may have as much to tell us about the foundations and interpretation of quantum mechanics as it does about gravity. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics and Everett’s Relative State Formulation are complementary descriptions which in a sense are dual to one another. The ER=EPR conjecture, which suggests a connection between entanglement and the connectivity of space-time, has sparked interest and research in the field. While the weak form of the conjecture is supported by evidence and leads to interesting consequences, the strong form remains controversial. Further research and investigation is needed to fully understand the implications of this conjecture.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
ftr said:
It is not black and white

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.02589.pdf
"Quantum gravity may have as much to tell us about the foundations and interpretation of quantum mechanics as it does about gravity. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics and Everett’s Relative State Formulation are complementary descriptions which in a sense are dual to one another. My purpose here is to discuss this duality in the light of the of ER=EPR conjecture."
See Peter Shor's comments here and here and Urs Schreiber's comments here.

Last edited:
Likes ftr
Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:

I very much doubt ER=EPR has anything to do with the foundations of QM, despite some papers that speculate along those lines. At least that link is not obvious. I also don’t think Peter Shors (who is a very good physicist) comments are particularly illuminating.

ER=EPR started out as an observation that two sided black holes in ADS space evade AMPS argument and produce a unitary system without a firewall. This much is not contested. The weak part of the conjecture then goes on to posit that maybe nature always makes something that looks like two sided black hole systems. Explicit examples are provided (black hole pair creation in magnetic fields). Again, this ties into Ryu-Takayanagi and the entanglement program in a very interesting way.

The strong form of the conjecture is a little more crazy, which posits that all entanglement is related to the connectivity of space time in a as yet to be properly formulated way.

In any event, the weak form is not manifestly wrong, evidence is given and the consequences are worthy of research. It also does lead to some interesting features (state dependance) and ties in with other research (tensor networks, SyK models, etc).

A. Neumaier said:
Thanks Neumaier for highlighting the subject. I intended to do the same but I have not gotten the chance. I can't elaborate too much but I got interested in the subject because the idea I showed before(which leans toward TI) when generalized seemed to imply the ER=ERP conjecture. Moreover, for a long time there has been a conjecture that particles can be thought of as black holes which sort of convinced me more by the possibility. Of course the strong resistance from your links is understandable, but thank you for them.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9202014.pdf

Last edited:
ftr said:
for a long time there has been a conjecture that particles can be thought of as black holes
There is a big difference between a conjecture and a theory that would turn the conjecture into a truth.
ftr said:
the strong resistance from your links is understandable
The comments by Urs Schreiber linked to are neutral.

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify two of the fundamental forces in physics: quantum mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and general relativity, which explains the behavior of large-scale objects in the universe.

2. How does quantum gravity impact quantum mechanics?

Quantum gravity has a significant impact on quantum mechanics because it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles at the smallest scales. It helps to reconcile the discrepancies between quantum mechanics and general relativity, allowing for a more complete understanding of the universe.

3. What are some potential applications of exploring quantum gravity's impact on quantum mechanics?

Studying the relationship between quantum gravity and quantum mechanics has the potential to lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as quantum computing and high-energy physics. It could also help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.

4. How do scientists study the impact of quantum gravity on quantum mechanics?

Scientists use a variety of theoretical models and mathematical frameworks to explore the relationship between quantum gravity and quantum mechanics. They also conduct experiments using particle accelerators and other advanced technologies to test these theories and gather data.

5. What are some current challenges in exploring quantum gravity's impact on quantum mechanics?

One of the main challenges in this field is the lack of a complete and unified theory of quantum gravity. Scientists are still working to develop a comprehensive understanding of how these two fundamental forces interact. Additionally, the extreme conditions necessary to study quantum gravity make it difficult to conduct experiments and gather data.