1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On infinite products; notational questions

1. Jul 11, 2005 #1
    I'm not certain this is the right forum, so let me know if its not, but I was wondering:

I'm reading a book on special functions and there are infinite products involved. In showing they converge, a capital O crops up and is not defined. Can anyone help me? I don't know how to paste in math formulas using latex (something I would like to learn if anyone can help me with that), otherwise I would. As is I have posted a picture I did with MathType.

What is the O mean? Perhaps that answer will be enough for me to answer the next on my own, but in case not: how do they arive at the second line's equality?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

O in this context means Order. Since it's a "Big O" (as opposed to "little o"), it represents that the cropped terms are at most in the order of -3 (i.e. somewhat small). Formally, f(n) = O(g(n)) means that "the rate of growth of f(n) is no more than a constant times the rate of growth of g(n)." See http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/54574.html. In your case, n = -3.

4. Jul 12, 2005 #3
    Enuma has as such detailed out what big-Oh denotes.

To top it off with a small example,
    consider this polynomial,
    f(n) = 1+n+n^2+n^3+n^4 (for all n>=1)

Now if i can find two constants n_0 and c, such that
    f(n) <= c*g(n) for all n>=n_0
    then we say that
    f(n) = O(g(n))
    (**This is what Enuma states as, "the rate of growth of f(n) is no more than a constant times the rate of growth of g(n)." **)

Consider g(n) = n^4,
    and now consider the constants n_0 = 1 and c = 5, you will notice that,
    f(n) <= 5*g(n) for all n>=1 (Try to prove this if you wish)
    hence f(n) = O(g(n))
    or (1+n+n^2+n^3+n^4) = O(n^4)

Now moving a bit further, consider this polynomial,
    f(n) = n^5 + (1+n+n^2+n^3+n^4) (for all n>=1)
    I can always replace the term in bracket with,
    f(n) = n^5 + O(n^4)

Such a replacement is done when we are only concerned with the growth rate of the term and not the actual term itself.

-- AI

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?