Moment of Inertia of Washer-like Ring

In summary, the problem asks for the moment of inertia about the origin of a washer-like ring with a radius of .125 m, a thickness of .01 m, and a hole cut out of the center. The ring sits on top of the x-axis, symmetric about the y-axis, with it's center at (0, .25, 0). The homework equations state that the moment of inertia about the origin is given by:dI_G = r^2\,dmdm = \rho\,dVI_G = \rho\,2\pi\,z\,\frac{r^4}{4}
InSaNiUm
First of all hi to everyone. This is my first post, though I've been reading (read: lurking) for a while. A lot of good, smart people willing to help each other. I've learned so much by just browsing...
Anyway, here's my problem:

Homework Statement

Given: A washer-like ring with:
[tex]\rho =8,000[/tex] kg/m[tex]{}^2[/tex],
thickness .01 m,
.250 m outer radius,
and .125 m radius hole cut out of the center.
It sits on top of the x-axis, symmetric about the y-axis, with it's center, [tex]\inline{I_G}[/tex] at (0, .25, 0). (z-axis is taken to be orthogonal to your monitor.)
I think I made that clear...
We are to find the moment of inertia about the origin, [tex]\inline{I_O}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{align}
dI_G = r^2\,dm\\
I_O = I_G + m\,d^2 \mathrm{(parallel \,axis \,thrm)}\\
dm = \rho\,dV
\end{align}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I tried to solve it:
[tex]
\begin{align}
dI_G = r^2\,dm\\
dm = \rho\,dV\\
= \rho\,r\,dr\,dz\,d\theta\\
\hookrightarrow dI_G = r^2\,\rho\,r\,dr\,dz\,d\theta\\
I_G = \int_{0}^{2\pi}\!\!\!\int_{0}^{.01}\!\!\!\int_{.125}^{.25}\,\rho{}\,r^3\,dr\,dz\,d\theta\\
...\hookrightarrow I_G = \rho\,2\pi\,z\,\frac{r^4}{4}
\end{align}
[/tex]
Before even plugging in the limits this is clearly wrong, but I'm not finding any calculation errors. My logic was that if I integrated over r from the inner to outer radius I wouldn't have to do the problem in two separate parts (disk minus smaller disk).
If I integrate [tex]\inline{dm}[/tex] on it's own, solve for [tex]\inline{\rho}[/tex] and plug it into my result above, things cancel and I get the sought after [tex]\frac{m\,r^2}{2}[/tex]
I'm thoroughly confused... This seems recursive. Didn't I include the density when I set up my integrals?
I'm sure there's a concept here that's just eluding me. Anyone feel like explaining this one?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
InSaNiUm said:
Before even plugging in the limits this is clearly wrong, but I'm not finding any calculation errors.
What makes you think it is wrong? (Overkill, surely, but not wrong.) Your answer is in terms of density; to relate it to the more familiar equation in terms of mass, plug in [itex]\rho = m/V = m/(\pi r^2 z)[/itex].

My logic was that if I integrated over r from the inner to outer radius I wouldn't have to do the problem in two separate parts (disk minus smaller disk).
That's fine. But unless this is an exercise in calculus, wouldn't it be easier to do it in two parts using the known formula for the rotational inertia of a disk?

I realize that my approach isn't necessarily the simplest. I'm just baffled as to why the answer is numerically different if I use eqn. (6) and plug in the density that was given in the problem; versus simplifying it into terms of mass like you suggested and then solving for said mass seperately and plugging that in. It seems like the equations should be yielding identical results if they are to describe the same quantity of the same system. Again - there's got to be something I'm just not seeing/understanding.

As per your second question: It probably would be easier but I'm supposed to be ``proving'' the formula as part of the process.

And thank you for replying! I appreciate you taking the time to help. :cool:

InSaNiUm said:
I realize that my approach isn't necessarily the simplest. I'm just baffled as to why the answer is numerically different if I use eqn. (6) and plug in the density that was given in the problem; versus simplifying it into terms of mass like you suggested and then solving for said mass seperately and plugging that in. It seems like the equations should be yielding identical results if they are to describe the same quantity of the same system. Again - there's got to be something I'm just not seeing/understanding.
Are you sure you are plugging numbers into your equation (6) correctly? I get the same answer either way.

Remember that each variable in the triple integral is evaluated independently. That means you'd get a value of:
[tex]I_G = \rho\,2\pi\,z\,\frac{r^4}{4} = \rho 2 \pi \frac{(0.01)}{4} (r_2^4 - r_1^4)[/tex]

1. What is Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring?

Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring refers to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property of an object that depends on its mass distribution and shape.

2. How is Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring calculated?

The Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the ring, and r is the radius of the ring.

3. What is the significance of Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring?

The Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring is an important quantity in rotational motion and is used to determine an object's angular acceleration when a torque is applied.

4. How does the Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring differ from other shapes?

The Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring is different from other shapes due to its unique mass distribution. The ring has a hollow, circular shape which affects its moment of inertia compared to solid shapes.

5. What factors can affect the Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring?

The Moment of Inertia of a Washer-like Ring can be affected by its mass, size, and shape. The larger the mass and size of the ring, the greater its moment of inertia. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the ring can also impact its moment of inertia.