On Music

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
dekoi said:
Your earlier response only stated that Mozart has never had a large -- perhaps Divine -- impact on your life. You did state why in one of your, i believe, 3 or 4 responses.

You stated, "It just means the deepest and most powerful kind of human originality." That might be true, although let's put this into a different perspective. If imagination is a root of the mind, in which it works similar to 'ideas', but is instead put into physical form -- then we suggest metaphysics. If metaphysics is indeed a reality, there must be a starting block from which the metaphysics is built upon. Thus we suggest God.

Please selfAdjoint do not get angry; we all have much to learn from each other.

If, If, If. I am not angry, but I am frustrated. It's impossible to discuss with somebody whose response is "Well if the priors of my argument are true, then it is true." One last time. Mozart was a human being who produced his music out of his human nature without divine inspriration or mystical influence. It is not necessary to imagine some supernatural order because of his music. And if you are unhappy with my choice of Mozart, use some musician I have a deeper relation to, such as Beethoven or John Coltrane.

I belive Carlos Santana once said that he is just a gateway for the music to come through. I think a large amount of musicians agree with his statement. On the other hand Coltrane in an interview about "A love Supreme" (his most spirital work) said something to the effect of "I'm nothing special really I just practice more then everybody else, I guess."

Janitor
Science Advisor
An interesting side issue is why there seems to be a bit of a preference for people to listen to singers of the same sex--at least I think I have noticed that. By and large it is women who listen to Barbra Streisand, and it is men who listen to Bob Dylan.

(I expect someone will point out a counter-example now!)