On nascent delta 'function'

In summary: You're missing a factor of epsilon. Your integral should be\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}\right)}{\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}} \phi(x)no , i'am not ... check (37) here "delta function"You're right, my mistake.as for the expansion of the sine , here is what i was trying to do : \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^
mmzaj
greetings . i have two questions regarding the sinc function in the week limit , where it can be used as a nascent delta function.
the definition :
[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}} \phi(x)dx=\phi(x_{0}) [/tex] is said to be valid for any smooth function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] with compact support . does that mean that the following is not valid :
[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}}xdx=x_{0} [/tex]

moreover . if we expand the sine function, we get :
[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(x)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n(x-x_{0})^{2n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon)^{2n+1}}dx =\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x-x_{0})^{2n}\phi(x) =\phi(x_{0})
[/tex]

is it legit to perform the integration term by term ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmzaj said:
greetings . i have two questions regarding the sinc function in the week limit , where it can be used as a nascent delta function.
the definition :
[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}} \phi(x)dx=\phi(x_{0}) [/tex] is said to be valid for any smooth function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] with compact support . does that mean that the following is not valid :
[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}}xdx=x_{0} [/tex]

You're missing a factor of epsilon. Your integral should be

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}\right)}{\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}} \phi(x)[/tex]

If you make the change of variables [itex]y = (x-x_0)/\epsilon[/itex] you can show (under the assumption that you can exchange the limit and the integral) that the result is [itex]\phi(x_0)[/itex]. Whether or not you can legitimately choose [itex]\phi(x) = x[/itex] depends on whether or not you can actually exchange the limit with the integral.

I don't think expanding the sine as a series will really get you anywhere. The key property of the nascent delta function is that you pick a function that integrates to 1 when you scale out the epsilon.

Mute said:
You're missing a factor of epsilon. Your integral should be

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}\right)}{\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}} \phi(x)[/tex]

no , i'am not ... check (37) here "delta function"

as for the expansion of the sine , here is what i was trying to do :

[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}} (x-x_{0})^{2n} = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} (x_{0})^{k} \right)
[/tex]

now define [itex]\Phi(x_{0j})[/itex] as a delta distribution such that :
[tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\sum_{j=1}^{m} \delta(x-x_{0j}) [/tex]

[tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k} \right)
[/tex]
now, for a certain situation , we are able to compute [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k}[/itex] for any [itex]k[/itex], but not the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] themselves. so i was hoping to extract the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] by :
[tex] x_{0j}= \int x\Phi(\textbf{X}) dx [/tex] over some period that contains [itex]x_{0j}[/itex]

Last edited:
mathematica is giving me some encouraging results . to spice things up, for a polynomial [itex] f(x) [/itex] , we can find [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^k [/itex] where [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] are the roots of the polynomial :
[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^k = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{q(0)k!}\left( \sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1} \left( p(x) \hat{q}(x)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right)[/tex]
where :
[tex] p(x)=x^{m-1}f^{'}\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
[tex] q(x)=x^{m}f\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
[tex] \hat{q}(x)=-\frac{q(x)}{q(0)}[/tex]
[tex] m= deg[f(x)] [/tex]

so , for a root [itex]z[/itex] contained in a small enough contour [itex]\kappa [/itex] :

[tex] z(\kappa )=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\lim_{s \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}\frac{(-1)^{k}}{{q(0)}k!}\left(\oint_{\kappa } {x}^{2n-k+1}dx\right)\sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1}\left(p(s)\hat{q}(s)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right) [/tex]

i was able to calculate the roots of some polynomials this way . and i know i can take it to the next step , and come up with a general formula . furthermore, this technique could be easily extended to study the roots of some complex functions .

Last edited:
mmzaj said:
no , i'am not ... check (37) here "delta function"

You're right, my mistake.

as for the expansion of the sine , here is what i was trying to do :

[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}} (x-x_{0})^{2n} = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} (x_{0})^{k} \right)
[/tex]

now define [itex]\Phi(x_{0j})[/itex] as a delta distribution such that :
[tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\sum_{j=1}^{m} \delta(x-x_{0j}) [/tex]

[tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k} \right)
[/tex]
now, for a certain situation , we are able to compute [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k}[/itex] for any [itex]k[/itex], but not the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] themselves. so i was hoping to extract the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] by :
[tex] x_{0j}= \int x\Phi(\textbf{X}) dx [/tex] over some period that contains [itex]x_{0j}[/itex]

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish here. Are you expanding the sine because you want to compute the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx (x-x_0)^{2n}\phi(x)[/tex]

and then evaluate the infinite sum and see if it reduces to [itex]\phi(x_0)[/itex]? If so, interchanging the integral with the infinite sum is only going to be valid in certain cases. If you chose [itex]\phi(x) = x[/itex] the integrals aren't well defined. Even if you replace the infinite limits with finite limits [itex]\pm T[/itex] which you take to infinity at the end, you'll have to be careful with the order of the epsilon and T limits. I think you probably get different results for functions [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] which are not smooth.

Mute said:
It's still not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish here. Are you expanding the sine because you want to compute the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx (x-x_0)^{2n}\phi(x)[/tex]

and then evaluate the infinite sum and see if it reduces to [itex]\phi(x_0)[/itex]? If so, interchanging the integral with the infinite sum is only going to be valid in certain cases. If you chose [itex]\phi(x) = x[/itex] the integrals aren't well defined. Even if you replace the infinite limits with finite limits [itex]\pm T[/itex] which you take to infinity at the end, you'll have to be careful with the order of the epsilon and T limits. I think you probably get different results for functions [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] which are not smooth.

i am expanding the sine , and then sum over [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] in order to isolate the term
[tex] \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k} [/tex]

which i can calculate via :

mmzaj said:
[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^k = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{q(0)k!}\left( \sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1} \left( p(x) \hat{q}(x)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right)[/tex]
where :
[tex] p(x)=x^{m-1}f^{'}\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
[tex] q(x)=x^{m}f\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
[tex] \hat{q}(x)=-\frac{q(x)}{q(0)}[/tex]
[tex] m= deg[f(x)] [/tex]

for some polynomial [itex] f(x) [/itex]

if we plug this term into the expansion we get :

[tex] \Phi(\mathbf{X})=\sum_{j=1}^{m}\delta (x-x_{0j})=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\lim_{s \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}\frac{(-1)^{k}}{{q(0)}k!} {x}^{2n-k}\sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1}\left(p(s)\hat{q}(s)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right) [/tex]

if we integrate, we get to extract the roots of the polynomial :

[tex] \oint _{\kappa} x\Phi(\mathbf{X})dx = x_{i} [/tex]

where [itex] x_{i} [/itex] is contained in the contour [itex] \kappa [/itex] .

1. What is a nascent delta function?

A nascent delta function is a mathematical concept used in the field of delta calculus. It is a special type of function that represents a point mass at the origin and has a value of infinity at that point, while being zero everywhere else.

2. How is a nascent delta function different from a traditional delta function?

A traditional delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to describe a point mass at the origin. However, unlike a nascent delta function, it has a finite value at the origin and is zero everywhere else.

3. What is the significance of a nascent delta function in mathematics?

Nascent delta functions are important in the field of delta calculus because they allow for the representation of point masses and the integration of functions with discontinuities or singularities. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and signal processing.

4. How is a nascent delta function used in practical applications?

A nascent delta function is used in practical applications to model and analyze systems with point masses or discontinuities. It can also be used to solve differential equations and to describe impulse responses in signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using a nascent delta function?

One limitation of using a nascent delta function is that it is not a true function in the traditional sense, as it does not have a well-defined value at the origin. It is also an idealized concept and may not accurately represent real-world systems. Additionally, it can lead to mathematical inconsistencies if not used properly.