Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On nascent delta 'function'

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    greetings . i have two questions regarding the sinc function in the week limit , where it can be used as a nascent delta function.
    the definition :
    [tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}} \phi(x)dx=\phi(x_{0}) [/tex] is said to be valid for any smooth function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] with compact support . does that mean that the following is not valid :
    [tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(\frac{x-x_{0}}{\varepsilon}\right) }{x-x_{0}}xdx=x_{0} [/tex]

moreover . if we expand the sine function, we get :
    [tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(x)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^n(x-x_{0})^{2n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon)^{2n+1}}dx =\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(x-x_{0})^{2n}\phi(x) =\phi(x_{0})
    [/tex]

is it legit to perform the integration term by term ??

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

You're missing a factor of epsilon. Your integral should be

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \frac{\sin\left(\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}\right)}{\frac{x-x_0}{\epsilon}} \phi(x)[/tex]

If you make the change of variables [itex]y = (x-x_0)/\epsilon[/itex] you can show (under the assumption that you can exchange the limit and the integral) that the result is [itex]\phi(x_0)[/itex]. Whether or not you can legitimately choose [itex]\phi(x) = x[/itex] depends on whether or not you can actually exchange the limit with the integral.

I don't think expanding the sine as a series will really get you anywhere. The key property of the nascent delta function is that you pick a function that integrates to 1 when you scale out the epsilon.

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3
    no , i'am not ... check (37) here "delta function"

as for the expansion of the sine , here is what i was trying to do :

[tex] \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}} (x-x_{0})^{2n} = \lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} (x_{0})^{k} \right)
    [/tex]

now define [itex]\Phi(x_{0j})[/itex] as a delta distribution such that :
    [tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\sum_{j=1}^{m} \delta(x-x_{0j}) [/tex]

[tex] \Phi(\textbf{X})=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}x^{2n-k} (-1)^{k} \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k} \right)
    [/tex]
    now, for a certain situation , we are able to compute [itex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k}[/itex] for any [itex]k[/itex], but not the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] themselves. so i was hoping to extract the [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] by :
    [tex] x_{0j}= \int x\Phi(\textbf{X}) dx [/tex] over some period that contains [itex]x_{0j}[/itex]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    mathematica is giving me some encouraging results . to spice things up, for a polynomial [itex] f(x) [/itex] , we can find [itex] \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^k [/itex] where [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] are the roots of the polynomial :
    [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^k = \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{q(0)k!}\left( \sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1} \left( p(x) \hat{q}(x)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right)[/tex]
    where :
    [tex] p(x)=x^{m-1}f^{'}\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
    [tex] q(x)=x^{m}f\left(\frac{1}{x} \right) [/tex]
    [tex] \hat{q}(x)=-\frac{q(x)}{q(0)}[/tex]
    [tex] m= deg[f(x)] [/tex]

so , for a root [itex]z[/itex] contained in a small enough contour [itex]\kappa [/itex] :

[tex] z(\kappa )=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\lim_{s \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}\frac{(-1)^{k}}{{q(0)}k!}\left(\oint_{\kappa } {x}^{2n-k+1}dx\right)\sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1}\left(p(s)\hat{q}(s)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right) [/tex]

i was able to calculate the roots of some polynomials this way . and i know i can take it to the next step , and come up with a general formula . furthermore, this technique could be easily extended to study the roots of some complex functions .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. Feb 3, 2012 #5

Mute

Homework Helper

You're right, my mistake.

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to accomplish here. Are you expanding the sine because you want to compute the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty dx (x-x_0)^{2n}\phi(x)[/tex]

and then evaluate the infinite sum and see if it reduces to [itex]\phi(x_0)[/itex]? If so, interchanging the integral with the infinite sum is only going to be valid in certain cases. If you chose [itex]\phi(x) = x[/itex] the integrals aren't well defined. Even if you replace the infinite limits with finite limits [itex]\pm T[/itex] which you take to infinity at the end, you'll have to be careful with the order of the epsilon and T limits. I think you probably get different results for functions [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] which are not smooth.

7. Feb 3, 2012 #6
    i am expanding the sine , and then sum over [itex]x_{0j}[/itex] in order to isolate the term
    [tex] \sum_{j=1}^{m} (x_{0j})^{k} [/tex]

which i can calculate via :

for some polynomial [itex] f(x) [/itex]

if we plug this term into the expansion we get :

[tex] \Phi(\mathbf{X})=\sum_{j=1}^{m}\delta (x-x_{0j})=\lim_{\varepsilon \rightarrow 0}\lim_{s \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{(2n+1)!(\varepsilon )^{2n+1}}\left(\sum_{k=0}^{2n}\binom{2n}{k}\frac{(-1)^{k}}{{q(0)}k!} {x}^{2n-k}\sum_{j=0}^{k}\binom{k+1}{j+1}\left(p(s)\hat{q}(s)^{j}\right)^{(k)}\right) [/tex]

if we integrate, we get to extract the roots of the polynomial :

[tex] \oint _{\kappa} x\Phi(\mathbf{X})dx = x_{i} [/tex]

where [itex] x_{i} [/itex] is contained in the contour [itex] \kappa [/itex] .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook