Understanding the Photoelectric Effect and Its Quantum Electronic Nature

In summary, the photoelectric effect is when matter emits electrons after being irradiated with light. The energy of photons at GHz frequencies is not high enough to liberate an electron, so the cell phone antenna does not emit electrons.
jainabhs
Below is my understanding of photoelectric effect, please correct me if I am wrong.

It is an quantum electronic effect in which matter emits electrons after receiving energy in the form of EM waves. E.g. imparting X-rays on matter.
So if we impart a high frequecncy wave (say f1) on a metal body (same thing that happens to antenna), it would emitt electrons?
Here I assume that f1 is far greater than threshold frequency required to make electron escape from crystalline structure.

Then why doesn't my cell phone antenna emitt electrons...

It is an quantum electronic effect in which matter emits electrons after receiving energy in the form of EM waves. E.g. imparting X-rays on matter.
So if we impart a high frequency wave (say f1) on a metallic body, would it emitt electrons?
[Here I assume that f1 is far greater than threshold frequency required to make electron escape from crystalline structure.]

Then why doesn't my cell phone antenna emitt electrons...?

There could be only one reason that cell phone frequency is well below threshold frequency...Because even with lowest possible intensity (only one photon at a time), frequency which is above threshold would make atleast one electron escape.

Please correct if I am wrong, thanks in anticipation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The antenna emitts electromagnetic waves due to the oscillating filed inside and around it. You do not impart light (EM waves) on the antenna in the same manner as you impart light on metal surface so it will knock out electrons.

If you apply an alternate current in a circiut (the circut that gives you the antenna if you have studied electronics), the moving electrons will create a magnetic field, and the magnetic field will interact with the electric field from the electrons and so on, you get a electro magnetic wave from the antenna.

jainabhs,

You are right that you cell phone is "irradiated" by photons emitted by the antenna.
But these photons are far below the treshold.

Photons from the visible and UV spectrum are typically in the petaHertz domain of frequency (10 to the power 15, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tera), and their wavelength is typically micrometers.

Photons from your cell phone are typically in the gigaHertz domain of frequency (10 to the power 9) and their wavelength are typically 3 meters.

Therefore, the energy of "visible or UV" photons are typically one million times more energetic than gigaHertz photons.

The photoelectric effect cannot be observed with gigaHertz frequencies.

Does that mean that photons in the gigaHertz range of frequency are not observable: absolutely no.
Photons from even lower energies can be observed.
There are numerous experiments where such photons are observed individually.
One of my latest reading in a magazine was about such an experiment.
One single photon was trapped in (cooled) cavity. The interaction of this photon with an atom passing through the cavity produced some signals that could show the existence of this unique photon in the cavity But the purpose of this experiment was even more interresting ... (see http://physicsweb.org/articles/news/11/3/9)

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum for an overview of the Electromagnetic spectrum

Last edited:
The energy of the incoming photon must exceed the work function to liberate an electron. Photons at GHz frequencies simply have insufficient energy to trigger this process.

Claude.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which the emission of electrons from a material occurs when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 through his quantum theory of light.

2. How does the photoelectric effect support the idea of light as a particle?

The photoelectric effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light, as it demonstrates that light can transfer its energy in discrete packets (quanta) called photons. The energy of a photon is directly related to its frequency, which explains why only light of a certain frequency can cause the emission of electrons.

3. What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material. In the photoelectric effect, if the energy of a photon is greater than the work function, the excess energy is converted into the kinetic energy of the emitted electron.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons, but it does affect the number of electrons emitted. Increasing the intensity of light increases the number of photons, which in turn increases the number of electrons that can be emitted. However, the energy of each photon and therefore the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons remains the same.

5. What is the significance of the threshold frequency in the photoelectric effect?

The threshold frequency is the minimum frequency of light that can cause the emission of electrons in the photoelectric effect. Light with a frequency below the threshold frequency will not cause any electrons to be emitted, regardless of its intensity. This supports the idea that the energy of a photon must be equal to or greater than the work function in order to cause the emission of electrons.