Finding a Cubic Polynomial with Remainders

In summary, the student is seeking help with a homework problem and is lost. He tries to solve it using a method that he is unfamiliar with and does not get far.
mangren

Homework Statement

A cubic polynomial gives remainders (5x + 4) and (12x -1) when divided by x^2 - x + 2 and x^2 + x - 1 respectively. Find the polynomial.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mangren said:

Homework Statement

A cubic polynomial gives remainders (5x + 4) and (12x -1) when divided by x^2 - x + 2 and x^2 + x - 1 respectively. Find the polynomial.
I presume that you seek help with this problem, rather than merely intending to duplicate your textbook?

Well, we can't help you effectively without knowing what you have tried and where you are stuck...

Sorry, this is the first time I posted here. I'm lost in this problem. I tried starting solving it by using:

P(x)/(x^2 - x + 2) = Q(x) + (5x + 4) and

P(x)/(x^2 + x - 1) = R(x) + (12x - 1)

but to no luck can't solve it... any suggestions?

Well, first, you haven't divided quite correctly. (e.g. 4/3 = 1 + 1/3, not 1 + 1)

You also know some information about Q and R, don't you?

Finally, do you see any way to combine those two equations to get more information?

just the basic stuff i know, but when all the x's come in, they confuse me...

i tried to make P(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d and divide it with x^2 - x + 2 giving a remainder x(b + c) -a(x + 2) - 2b + d which is equal to (5x + 4), and then divided P(x) with the x^2 + x - 1 giving a remainder x(2a + c) - bx + d - a which is also equal to (12x - 1), then i tried to solve simultaneously, but there are just too many unknowns... don't know what to do next...

mangren said:
Sorry, this is the first time I posted here. I'm lost in this problem. I tried starting solving it by using:

P(x)/(x^2 - x + 2) = Q(x) + (5x + 4) and

P(x)/(x^2 + x - 1) = R(x) + (12x - 1)
No, that's wrong. P(x)/(x^2- x+ 2)= Q(x)+ (5x+4)/(x^2- x+ 2) and
p(x)/(x^2+ x- 1)= R(x)+ (12x- 1)/(x^2+ x- 1).

It might help to write it as P(x)= Q(x)(x^2- x+ 2)+ 5x+4 and P(x)= R(x)(x^2+ x-1)+ 12x-1.
You also know that P is cubic so Q and R must be linear. P(0)= 2Q(0)+ 4= -R(0)- 1 and P(1)= 2Q(1)+ 9= R(x)+ 11. Two points should be enough to determin a linear equation.

mangren said:
x(b + c) -a(x + 2) - 2b + d which is equal to (5x + 4),
x(2a + c) - bx + d - a which is also equal to (12x - 1), then i tried to solve simultaneously, but there are just too many unknowns... don't know what to do next...
I see four dimensions of equations and four unknowns; there shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget that, for two polynomials to be equal, their coefficients must be equal!

HallsofIvy said:
It might help to write it as P(x)= Q(x)(x^2- x+ 2)+ 5x+4 and P(x)= R(x)(x^2+ x-1)+ 12x-1.
You also know that P is cubic so Q and R must be linear. P(0)= 2Q(0)+ 4= -R(0)- 1 and P(1)= 2Q(1)+ 9= R(x)+ 11. Two points should be enough to determin a linear equation.

This method looks easy but I don't get it. Please explain further.

I tried again to solve it simultaneously resulting in 2cx + ax - 3a - 2b + 2d = 17x + 3, still far from the solution.

1. How do I find a cubic polynomial with remainders?

To find a cubic polynomial with remainders, you need to have at least four data points (x and y values) and then use the method of polynomial interpolation to determine the coefficients of the polynomial.

2. What is the method of polynomial interpolation?

The method of polynomial interpolation is a mathematical technique used to find a polynomial that passes through a given set of data points. It involves solving a system of equations using the data points to determine the coefficients of the polynomial.

3. Can I use any four data points to find a cubic polynomial with remainders?

No, the four data points should be distinct and not lie on the same line. If the data points are collinear, it will not be possible to find a unique cubic polynomial that passes through all the points.

4. What is the degree of the cubic polynomial found using this method?

The degree of the cubic polynomial found using the method of polynomial interpolation will always be three, as it is a cubic polynomial. This means that the highest power of the variable in the polynomial will be three.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method for finding a cubic polynomial with remainders?

Yes, this method may not work if the data points are too far apart or if there is a lot of noise in the data. In such cases, the polynomial found may not accurately represent the data points. It is important to have a good understanding of the data and the limitations of this method before using it.