Understanding Strongly Correlated Systems: From Atoms to Chaos Theory

• Thread starter leoant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the study found that describing a complex system using Hubbard mode or t-J mode is intuitive, but it is important to use a model that works in a specific situation.
leoant
I am no familiar with this area, and I want to know whether can we say that materials including atoms with d electrons are strongly correltated sysytem?

Physics news on Phys.org
leoant said:
I am no familiar with this area, and I want to know whether can we say that materials including atoms with d electrons are strongly correltated sysytem?

You do know that you're asking a question that is the topic of whole books.

The term "strongly correlated" is often a vague term. More often than not, it is reflected in the ratio of t/U, or W/U, where t is the hopping integral, U is the on-site Coulomb repulsion, and W is the bandwidth. If you have done tight-binding approximation, you would have noticed that the s-orbital tends to be highly localized around the ions. Compare this to the d-orbital that is more spread out, and you can see why transition atoms and oxides will create more overlap between neighboring sites. So the hopping integral will become more dominant and electrons from each ions can no longer ignore each other's presence. This, essentially, is a handwaving argument why transition metal/oxides tend to be considered as strongly-correlated systems.

One of the most important classifications in strongly correlated electron system is the Zaanen-Sawatzky-Allen scheme[1]. This scheme tries to delineate between a Mott-Hubbard system and a charge-transfer system in the transition metal/oxides. You may want to read on this also.

Zz.

[1] J. Zaanen, et al. Phys. Rev. Lett. v.55, p.418 (1985).

Here's possibly additional useful information on this topic:

http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0508631

Caveat: I did only a quick glance at this preprint, so I cannot vouch for its accuracy (it looked good on that quick glance). I seldom recommend preprints on Arxiv based on a flimsy review such as this, but I'm pressed for time right now (have to complete as much stuff this week as possible before my Disney World vacation).

Zz.

Thank you very much, dear Zapperz. And May you a good journey.

Ohh, it's an exciting paper while makes me frustrated. One can interpret 'the complex system' intuitively, however, how can we describe it mathematically?
Using Hubbard mode or t-J mode? Or even chaos theory?

leoant said:
Ohh, it's an exciting paper while makes me frustrated. One can interpret 'the complex system' intuitively, however, how can we describe it mathematically?
Using Hubbard mode or t-J mode? Or even chaos theory?

But that is a central research work in condensed matter. What model one can use it extremely important. One model that works in one situation may not work in another. It very much depends on the nature of the problem. If you have, for example, a Kondo system, then even perturbative approach may fail since for this system, one of the higher order interaction is LARGE.

Zz.

1. What are strongly correlated systems?

Strongly correlated systems refer to a class of materials in which the behavior of individual particles is highly influenced by the interactions with other particles, leading to emergent and collective behaviors that cannot be understood by studying the individual components alone.

2. What are some examples of strongly correlated systems?

Some examples of strongly correlated systems include high-temperature superconductors, magnets, and quantum materials such as graphene and topological insulators.

3. How do strong correlations affect the properties of a material?

Strong correlations can dramatically change the electronic, magnetic, and optical properties of a material, leading to phenomena such as high-temperature superconductivity, metal-insulator transitions, and exotic magnetic ordering.

4. What techniques are commonly used to study strongly correlated systems?

Experimental techniques such as neutron scattering, X-ray diffraction, and optical spectroscopy are commonly used to study strongly correlated systems. Theoretical methods, such as mean-field theory and numerical simulations, are also important tools for understanding these complex systems.

5. Why are strongly correlated systems important in scientific research?

Strongly correlated systems are important in scientific research because they exhibit novel and often unexpected behaviors, which can lead to the discovery of new materials and phenomena. They also challenge our current understanding of condensed matter physics and have potential applications in technologies such as energy storage, quantum computing, and electronics.