Is a Backflow Valve Necessary for Swimming Pool Levels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the location and necessity of a valve in a swimming pool's self-leveling pump. The question is whether the valve, which is physically higher than the pool's water level, is redundant due to the lack of pressure in the pool. The possibility of external forces, such as wind or someone jumping into the pool, causing water to flow to the valve is also mentioned.
talk2glenn
On Swimming Pool Levels...

Alright, this should be a simple enough question.

Per code, the pipe which feeds my swimming pools self-leveling pump has a valve to prevent back flow, so swimming pool water does not contaminate the residential main. However, the valve is located at a point physically higher than the peak water level in the pool.

My question is, is this valve redundant? Since the pool isn't pressurized, it seems to me that the water would generally reach an equilibrium height in the piping equal to the level in the pool. Is there some kind of vacuum pressure or other siphon effect that would ever cause the pool water to climb higher and spill back into the system?

Physics news on Phys.org

First thing I would think of are strong winds or someone jumping into the pool right next to the water. This could result in a small amount of pool water flowing to the valve.

There is considerably more atmospheric pressure pressing down on the pool surface than there is resistance to it in the pipe leading to the valve.
Recall that "water seeks its own level" is only true when external forces are equal.

1. What is the ideal swimming pool water level?

The ideal swimming pool water level is generally considered to be halfway up the skimmer opening. This allows for proper filtration and skimming of debris.

2. How often should I check the water level in my swimming pool?

It is recommended to check the water level in your swimming pool at least once a week. Factors such as evaporation and usage can affect the water level, so it's important to monitor it regularly.

3. What are the consequences of having a low or high swimming pool water level?

If the water level is too low, it can cause the pump to run dry and potentially damage the equipment. If the water level is too high, it can compromise the effectiveness of the skimmer and cause the water to become cloudy.

4. How do I adjust the water level in my swimming pool?

To adjust the water level, you can use a garden hose to add water to the pool or a submersible pump to remove excess water. It's important to only add or remove a small amount of water at a time to avoid drastic changes in water chemistry.

5. Can I swim in a pool with a low or high water level?

It is not recommended to swim in a pool with a low water level as it can cause damage to the pump and other equipment. Swimming in a pool with a high water level is generally safe, but it may not be as enjoyable due to decreased skimming and filtration efficiency.