Has the stability problem of changing entropy and time been resolved?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reversing the direction of time by changing the entropy of a system. The concept of entropy as defining the direction of time is mentioned, and the possibility of using black holes as a means of implementing this is discussed. The conversation also touches on the challenges and unanswered questions surrounding this concept.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
My question is, if somehow it were possible to change the change of entropy such that it were negative, i.e. ##\Delta S <0## wouldn't we go backwards in time, from the future to the past?

I have this paper:
https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0503077

I wonder if the stability problem was ever resolved.
I haven't yet read this paper (even if it's a little bit outdated).

Physics news on Phys.org
I think change in entropy defines the "direction" of time (past versus future) along the arbitrary parameter T.

By definition, going towards "-T" or "+T" is not what defines "backward" or "forward" in time. I.e. "Forward" in time will be that direction along T for which the total entropy increases... in a sense, in order for events to cause effects on your senses which cause effects on your brain and which cause your memories to form (generally speaking storage of information), and enable you to recall the past... defines it.

The past is thus also defined by the direction in T in which you are capable (because of the way entropy, information, causation, and memory work) of remembering.

"T" is time, right? (in thermodynamics it's temperature).

I am not concerned about my brain functioning of past or future but that if you can possibly change the enviornement but not you, s.t the enviornemnt will have a decrease in entropy while your brain will still have an increase in entropy, so to speak to isolate myself from the enviornment.

I think it's possible, the problem is how to implement it, toughy.

Why do you think it is "possible"?

It's a hunch from the fact that quantum mechanically you can have negative temperatures (I must admit that I haven't delved into this anomaly of negative tmperatures yet, but I am planning of doing it eventaully).

Are you assuming you can define a system in a region A and a second system in separate (in space) region B such that according to a "time" defined for both systems, changes in entropy are positive in A but are negative in B?

Is there ANY interaction allowed between A and B while one system is reversing in time? If there IS, what is the change in entropy of the total system? Why? What is relationship of causation between A and B?

If there is no interaction (as long as they have change in entropy in opposite directions of time) what could cause one or other system to "flip" its direction of entropy? Could a system cause its own flip? How?

That's the trillion dollars question, how to implement this?

There are many papers that argue that it maybe possible through some interaction with black holes, I heard a conversation of Seth Lloyd in which he talks about such a model he has.

I don't know how to implement this but I am willing to keep on learning...

MathematicalPhysicist said:
That's the trillion dollars question, how to implement this?
Reverse time travel?, yes that's hard no matter how much dollars you throw at at.

1. What is the stability problem of changing entropy and time?

The stability problem of changing entropy and time refers to the question of whether the laws of thermodynamics and the concept of time are consistent with one another. In other words, does the arrow of time, which dictates that entropy (a measure of disorder) always increases, align with the concept of time moving forward?

2. Has the stability problem of changing entropy and time been resolved?

The answer to this question is still under debate. While many scientists believe that the laws of thermodynamics and the concept of time are consistent, others argue that there are still unanswered questions and discrepancies that need to be addressed.

3. What evidence supports the stability of changing entropy and time?

One of the main pieces of evidence supporting the stability of changing entropy and time is the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This aligns with our understanding of time moving forward and the concept of irreversible processes.

4. What are some arguments against the stability of changing entropy and time?

Some scientists argue that the concept of time may not be as objective as we perceive it to be, and that our understanding of entropy and the arrow of time may be limited by our current understanding of the universe. Others point to discrepancies between the laws of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics as evidence that the stability problem has not been fully resolved.

5. How does the stability problem of changing entropy and time impact our understanding of the universe?

This question is still being explored by scientists and philosophers. Resolving the stability problem could potentially provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws that govern our universe and shed light on the concept of time itself. It could also have implications for fields such as cosmology and the study of the origins and fate of the universe.