Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the average, a blink lasts about 100ms

1. Aug 30, 2003 #1
    on the average, a blink lasts about 100ms. how far does a MiG-25 foxbat fighter travels during a pilot blink if the plane average velocity is 2500mi/h. my answer is 69.4

what is the acceleration of a car that moves at a steady velocity of 115 km/h for 115 seconds? my answer is 115km/h. the explanation of this answer is b/c the steady velocity of the acceleration of the car is going in the same of 115km/h as it is in 115 sec.

a car takes 14s to go from v=0 to v=30m/s at approximately constant acceleration. if you wish to find the distance traveled using the equation d = 1/2at^2, what value should you use for a?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2003 #2
    2500 mph / 3600 (seconds per hour) = .6944444
    one tenth of that is about 1/16 of a mile in a tenth of a second.

Steady velocity means no acceleration, (it would have to be traveling straight technically speaking)

a= (v2-v1)/(t2-t1)

or, the change in velocity over the change in time

4. Aug 31, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"my answer is 69.4"
    69.4 WHAT? Your answer doesn't make sense without units: miles?, feet?, meters? and thinking about how the units match up might help you see how to get the answer.

"what is the acceleration of a car that moves at a steady velocity of 115 km/h for 115 seconds?"
    Are you sure you have copied the question correctly? At a minimum you should know that "acceleration" MEANS the rate at which velocity is CHANGING. If the car "moves at a steady velocity" then the acceleration is 0.

"my answer is 115km/h. the explanation of this answer is b/c the steady velocity of the acceleration of the car is going in the same of 115km/h as it is in 115 sec."
    Once again, check your units. Acceleration is km/h2, not km/h. Understanding that may help. By the way, "the steady velocity of the acceleration" makes no sense at all!

"a car takes 14s to go from v=0 to v=30m/s at approximately constant acceleration. if you wish to find the distance traveled using the equation d = 1/2at^2, what value should you use for a?"
    WHY should you use that formula. It is NEVER a good idea to use a formula that you don't understand. When you learned the formula you should have learned what "d", "a", and "t" MEANT. Knowing that, the answer is easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?