Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the Ether Swimmer Analogy

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    On the Ether "Swimmer Analogy"

I am a high school student working through Lillian Lieber's The Einstein Theory of Relativity. She addresses Michelson's "swimmer analogy" (that light travelling through the ether could be compared to a swimmer travelling in a stream). I am confused as to how, in this theory, light with any component of motion in the "ether wind" direction would be able to move without a "deflection" in path. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2
    Re: On the Ether "Swimmer Analogy"

Hi, I am also a high school student but took Relativity last semester. By the way when you refer to ether what do you imply. Do u imply ether as being space or ether as being a stream of possible interference in space like light passing through a huge planet( gravitational field).
  4. Dec 19, 2009 #3

I mean "ether" as the medium through which light travels, as envisaged in Michelson's day (i.e. as a fixed frame of reference through which the Earth would move). Perhaps if I were to write "luminiferous aether," my meaning would be more apparent?
  5. Dec 19, 2009 #4

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but I think the answer is that the light *would* be deflected under this theory. When Michelson's experiment found that this didn't actually occur, it put a big hole in the whole idea of an "aether".
  6. Dec 19, 2009 #5

Ohh now i understand that was in a frame where space was flat so ya but due to presence of planets, radiation anomalies, blackholes and many other things light cannot therefore travel without a deflection.
  7. Dec 19, 2009 #6

correct me if am wrong about the ether
  8. Dec 19, 2009 #7

i mean your reference to medium throws it off balance because light itslef doesnt need a medium.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook