Is the Frame Dragging Effect Measurable on High-RPM Massive Rotating Discs?

In summary: For example, if you spin a 1kg disc to 300rpm, the increase in the mass will be of the order of 10^-14 kg. This is a tiny fraction of the mass of the disc itself. In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring the frame dragging effect on a high rpm massive rotating disc in a laboratory setting. The effect is explained to be equal in magnitude to the gravitational field times the speed of the object. However, due to the small magnitude of the effect, the apparatus would need to be extremely sensitive. The possibility of energizing the discs is also mentioned, but it is noted that this may introduce other effects.
Simonomis
Hi just a quick question, I've been searching online to find out if there is any measurable frame dragging effect on a high rpm massive rotating disc, but havnt been able to find anything. I've read a bit about gravity probe B but in my limited understanding of the effect and the physics around it, i thought it might be possible to see this effect in the lab provided the effect at this scale is not so negligible as to see no result.

In the experiment would you see any frame dragging if you were to rotate a number of massive discs very close to non rotating discs in a perfect vacuum so as to cancel any drag effects due to air - in this setup the arrangement of discs would look like the multiple discs of a hard drive platter (but much larger and much more massive) where every other disc is made to rotate in very close proximity to a set of non rotating discs (but with high quality bearings so that they can rotate if made to do so)

I imagine that if there was a frame dragging effect the rotating discs would eventually cause the non rotating discs to start to rotate? I'm not sure if there would be other effects that may be stronger than the frame dragging effect but therein lie another of my questions?

any comments would be very much appreciated

Cheers!

Likes c704710
Physics news on Phys.org
Simonomis said:
Ive read a bit about gravity probe B but in my limited understanding of the effect and the physics around it, i thought it might be possible to see this effect in the lab provided the effect at this scale is not so negligible as to see no result.
Indeed. Read more closely about the lengths they needed to go to, just to detect the frame-dragging of an entire planet.

The frame dragging field caused by each piece of a moving or spinning object is roughly equal in magnitude to its gravitational field times v/c, where v is its speed. It is not easy to detect the gravitational force between objects in a laboratory situation. To measure a frame dragging effect, you would need apparatus v/c times more sensitive.

So for example if you could make a disk move around at about 300 ms-1, nearly the speed of sound in air and about a millionth of the speed of light, then your apparatus to detect frame-dragging would have to be a million times more sensitive than the apparatus to detect the gravitational field of a laboratory object.

Thanks very much for your responses it very satisfying when somebody can apply values to the miniscule effect, helps a lot with my understanding. One thing that keeps popping into my head is - would the effective mass of the discs be increased as all parts of the discs move through a particular point many times per second - and would energising the discs make any difference (Although I'm sure all sorts of other effects would make themselves known if you energised it)

You are "energizing" the disc since you are making it spin...you give it rotational kinetic energy.

The mass dilation (even tho I dislike this term) is quite negligible for speeds v<<c.

What is the frame dragging effect?

The frame dragging effect, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in general relativity where the rotation of a massive object causes the space-time around it to twist, similar to how a spinning top affects the surface it rests on.

What is the evidence for the frame dragging effect?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the frame dragging effect is the Gravity Probe B experiment, where a gyroscope was sent into space to measure the tiny changes in its orientation caused by the Earth's rotation. Another important piece of evidence is the observation of the precession of the orbit of Mercury, which can be explained by the frame dragging effect.

How does the frame dragging effect affect GPS satellites?

The frame dragging effect can cause small shifts in the orbits of GPS satellites, which can lead to errors in the time measurements used for GPS calculations. To counteract this effect, the satellites are equipped with atomic clocks that are constantly adjusted to correct for any deviations caused by frame dragging.

Is the frame dragging effect observable on a smaller scale?

Yes, the frame dragging effect can also be observed on a smaller scale, such as around rotating neutron stars and black holes. In fact, the frame dragging effect is thought to play a crucial role in the formation of powerful jets of particles and radiation that are emitted by these extreme objects.

What are the potential applications of the frame dragging effect?

The frame dragging effect has potential applications in space navigation and the study of extreme objects in the universe. It also has implications for our understanding of the fundamental principles of gravity and space-time, and could potentially be used to test alternative theories of gravity.