What Is the Expert Golfer's Ideal Single Stroke on the Green?

• Thread starter niyati
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, the novice golfer took three strokes to sink the ball with successive displacements of 4.00 m north, 2.00 m northeast, and 1.00 m at 30.0 degrees west of south. An expert golfer could make the hole in a single displacement by adding the components of each vector, with the first vector being [0,4], the second vector being [2/[sq.rt.]2, 2/[sq.rt.]2], and the third vector being [-1/2, -[sq.rt.]3/2]. This results in a final displacement of [1/2, [sq.rt.]3/2] or approximately [0.5m, 0.
niyati
A novice golfer on the green takes three strokes to sink the ball. The successive displacements are 4.00 m to the north, 2.00 m northeast, and 1.00 m at 30.0 degrees west of south. Starting at the same initial point, an expert golfer could make the hole in what single displacement?

I drew the picture, but am I to assume northeast means a 45 degree angle? The resultant vector is the sum of all three of these vectors. The first vector, broken down to its components, is 0i + 4j, or [0,4]. The second vector (if I'm assuming it has an angle of 45 degrees) has components of 2.00cos45 and 2.00 sin45, which makes 2/[sq.rt.]2 for both the x and y coordinates. And the third vector must be at an angle of 240 degrees, if it is just 30 degrees off of south in a western direction. Therefore, it is -120 or 240 degrees: h.c. = 1.00cos240 and v.c. = 1.00sin240. If these are all correct, I am just suppose to add each component to its respective component in order to get the resultant components of the expert golfer's shot, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, looks right to me. I agree, northeast seems to imply 45 degrees.

I can confirm that your understanding of vector addition is correct. To find the resultant displacement of the expert golfer's shot, we simply add the x and y components of each individual displacement. In this case, the x component would be 0 + 2/[sq.rt.]2 + 1.00cos240 and the y component would be 4 + 2/[sq.rt.]2 + 1.00sin240. Using basic trigonometry, we can simplify these components to get the final displacement of the expert golfer's shot. It is important to note that in reality, the expert golfer's shot may vary slightly due to factors such as wind and terrain, but this calculation provides a good estimate.

1. How does the type of grass affect the speed of the golf ball on the green?

The type of grass on the green can greatly affect the speed of the golf ball. For example, Bermuda grass tends to be faster and smoother, while Bentgrass is typically slower and more difficult to putt on. The height and density of the grass also play a role in determining the speed of the ball.

2. Does the slope of the green impact the break of a putt?

Yes, the slope of the green can greatly impact the break of a putt. The steeper the slope, the more the ball will break towards the lower side of the slope. It is important for golfers to read the slope of the green carefully before making a putt.

3. How do you determine the direction and strength of the wind when putting on the green?

To determine the direction and strength of the wind on the green, you can use a variety of methods such as feeling the wind on your face, observing flags or trees in the area, or using a wind gauge. It is important to take the wind into consideration when making a putt as it can greatly affect the direction and speed of the ball.

4. What is the best way to repair ball marks on the green?

The best way to repair a ball mark on the green is to use a ball mark repair tool, such as a divot tool, to gently push the edges of the mark back towards the center. Do not lift the center of the mark, as this can damage the roots of the grass. After pushing the edges back, lightly tamp down the area with your putter or foot.

5. How does the moisture level of the green affect the roll of the ball?

The moisture level of the green can greatly affect the roll of the ball. Too much moisture can cause the ball to skid and not roll smoothly, while too little moisture can make the green dry and fast. It is important for golfers to adjust their putting technique and club selection based on the moisture level of the green.