On the metaphysics of internships

In summary, an undergraduate studying in Germany is looking for an internship in Europe for the dates of July-September. They are open to any type of internship, but prefer something theoretical or computational. They are not familiar with programing, but knowledgeable about theoretical physics.
Redsummers
Hello, I am quite new to all this world of internships so I have some questions to the forum. (I have been in several CTYs, but I am afraid that these programs are way different from an internship.)

The thing is that I have been searching for internships in the US/Canada, but so far I haven't found any that would agree with my schedule. I study in Germany, and we would normally finish exams in mid-july (this year we finished on 15th July) and we start in October.

About the program, I'm seeking for something related with particle physics or cosmology (yeah.. I know). For instance the Fermilab, SLAC and other accelerators in the US all start the internship on june or so (hence I can't go...); then there's also the CERN internship: they actually start on 19th July (which would be ok), but it's not that I can rely on just one application –not to mention that it may be really hard to get in there, and it's better not to get my hopes up.

So I would like to ask you if you know of any internship in Europe for these dates (since it seems impossible to attend to an internship during these dates in North America... even though if you are aware of any, let me know!). It doesn't need to be in an accelerator, of course, if it was some program with just lectures in some University, it would be more than fine! (actually I like lectures and colloquia better than getting into really experimental-like labs).

About the economical part, I don't really know how it works for internships... I know that some of them even pay you *shrug*. I am in no way looking for getting paid but to just learning new stuff and all. I guess that if they pay you for the trans./stay/food that would be more than enough for me!

Note: Now that I remember, I must clarify that even though I study in Germany my German level is really rudimentary. About other languages... I guess I could survive in French, but preferably I would take it in English. (For German students I have found http://www.daad.de/rise-programs/en/index.html" is the main website for DAAD internships if you are wondering)

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At least in the US--since you aren't necessarily looking to be paid--its very possible to get a more unofficial internship: i.e. one that doesn't have specific start end dates.

I'd recommend contacting (e-mailing) a researcher whose work you are familiar with, send them your CV/resume, and ask if they might have a position for you.

Also, see if any of your professors (etc) know anyone they can recommend you to.

Oh I see, I did not consider that option before. I guess I can ask the professors in my university for a suggestion/recommendation then.

About internships, are they always in workplaces such as labs, or there are internships more theoretically-based, where you just attend to conferences/lectures?

My adviser had an intern from France last year who spent a semester in our research group. She had contacted him and asked if she could come, and he agreed (we're in the US). She was doing research; she wasn't working in a lab or going to talks, she was doing theory and computational work.

eri said:
My adviser had an intern from France last year who spent a semester in our research group. She had contacted him and asked if she could come, and he agreed (we're in the US). She was doing research; she wasn't working in a lab or going to talks, she was doing theory and computational work.

Sounds interesting, but the thing is that I am still an undergraduate, so my level of theoretical physics is poor compared to that of a graduate, so I don't know how would I be of any use to a professor doing theoretical research. What are your thoughts? :confused:

And about my knowledge of programing, it's null. Now that you mentioned computational work, I know how to use Origin and Mathematica (I'm not a master of it!), so I don't know if I would be helpful to any research area right now. Was the girl from France an undergraduate as well?

No, she was a masters student. But she wasn't really being 'useful', she had her own project my adviser was supervising. It was related to his work, but not closely enough to be helpful to him. Definitely talk to your professors. They should have some connections; many schools are open to an unofficial program of some sort if you have someone to help you arrange it.

Ah, I see. Then I will ask my professor once I'm back to University.
Thanks for your input!

1. What is the metaphysics of internships?

The metaphysics of internships refers to the philosophical study of the nature and reality of internships. It explores the underlying principles and concepts that govern the existence and purpose of internships.

2. Why is it important to understand the metaphysics of internships?

Understanding the metaphysics of internships can provide insights into the deeper meaning and impact of internships. It can also help individuals and organizations make more informed decisions about internships, such as how to structure them and what to expect from them.

3. Are internships a form of exploitation?

This is a highly debated question and the answer may vary depending on one's perspective. Some argue that internships can be exploitative if the intern is not receiving fair compensation or if the internship is used as a way for companies to get free labor. Others argue that internships can provide valuable learning opportunities and should not be considered exploitation.

4. How do internships impact career development?

Internships can have a significant impact on career development by providing hands-on experience, networking opportunities, and a chance to showcase skills and knowledge. They can also help individuals gain a better understanding of their career interests and goals.

5. What are the ethical considerations of internships?

There are several ethical considerations to take into account when it comes to internships. These include fair compensation, equal opportunity for all individuals, clear expectations and responsibilities, and providing a safe and respectful work environment. It is important for organizations to uphold ethical standards when offering internships.