Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the moment of inertia of a system of biparticles

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    The moment of inertia of a system of particles, is given by:

[tex]I_i^{\vphantom{^{\:2}}} = \sum_i \; m_i^{\vphantom{^{\:2}}} \, \vec{r}_i^{\:2}[/tex]
    The moment of inertia of a system of biparticles, is given by:

[tex]I_{ij}^{\vphantom{^{\:2}}} = \sum_i \; \sum_{j>i} \; \, m_i^{\vphantom{^{\:2}}} m_j^{\vphantom{^{\:2}}} \; \left( \vec{r}_i - \vec{r}_j \right)^2[/tex]
    A system of particles forms a system of biparticles, and from the above equations the following relation can be obtained:

[tex]I_{ij}^{\vphantom{^{\:cm}}} = M_i^{\vphantom{^{\:cm}}} \: I_i^{\:cm}[/tex]
    where [itex]I_{ij}^{\vphantom{^{\:cm}}}[/itex] is the moment of inertia of the system of biparticles, [itex]M_i^{\vphantom{^{\:cm}}}[/itex] is the mass of the system of particles, and [itex]I_i^{\:cm}[/itex] is the moment of inertia of the system of particles relative to the center of mass.

For example, the system of particles A, B, C and D forms the system of biparticles AB, AC, AD, BC, BD and CD.

[itex]{\vphantom{aat}}[/itex]

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted