Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On The Period of Kx^n

1. Feb 21, 2005 #1
    Hi

Does someone know where I can get access to the following article on the internet without paying for it?

"The Period of [itex]F = -kx^{n}[/itex] Harmonic Motion" by Chris Hirata and David Thiessen, The Physics Teacher, December 1995, page 563

Additionally if you are aware of textbooks/internet sites which discuss this mathematically, please do let me know.

Thanks and cheers
    Vivek

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No.Have you checked a good LIBRARY...?Maybe paper is better than e-format...Sure,you can print it,if you have it in e-format,but a library may have free online subscription to the magazine...

Daniel.

4. Feb 21, 2005 #3

krab

Science Advisor

Google something more specific, like "quartic potential well". Lotsa hits to that.

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4
    Thanks for your replies. Well, I tried searching this in the database of the nearest library I have access to...in vain. If you know where I can get information about this topic (and not necessarily from the same source) please do let me know.

Cheers
    vivek

6. Feb 23, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean that they didn't have the collection of the magazine/journal including the issue with the article...?I assume you searched at an UNIVERSITY library...That's weird.One thing is for sure:it's definitely at the Library of Congress.So if your Quantum Corral has a nonzero probability of being in Washington,you might wanna check it out...:wink:

As for [itex]r^{n} [/itex] potentials and closed orbits,there's definitely a chapter and a theorem in 3-rd ed.of Goldstein...:wink:

Daniel.

7. Feb 23, 2005 #6
    Thanks for the reference to Goldstein....

Cheers
    vivek

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?