On what should i concentrate?

• Thread starter berik
  • Start date
In summary, In summary, it is difficult to choose a field of concentration when you do not know what you are interested in.
berik
on what should i concentrate?

Hi! i am currently studying physics undergrad. Next year i will choose my field of concentration. i am not planning to do M.S. or PhD degree. What should i choose ?there are seven options:
1. test and measurement
2. plasma physics
3. particle, nuclear and atomic physics
4. optoelectronics
5. mathematical physics and relativity
6. condensed matter physics
7. astrophysics
pleased with any help...

Physics news on Phys.org

- What subjects have you most enjoyed so far?
- Have you done any extra-cirricular reading, and if so, into what fields?
- What areas do you find most interesting?
- If you are not planning on pursuing graduate studies, what are you planning to do with your education once you have it? Perhaps orienting your classes towards picking up some marketable skills will provide you with a few more job options once you graduate.

To be employable, I'd lean towards 1,4, or 6 if you plan to work in a small company... if you plan to work at a national lab or facility that specializes...maybe 2,3, or 7, but I'd still think 6 a good bet for this (many of the national labs do a lot of materials characterization). Note: 6 is the LARGEST division of physics. For working at a military lab, 4 might be good (for sensor/imaging/communication applications).

5 might help you in the financial field... but I don't think that's all that positive right now in terms of employment possibilities.

Again: Choppy gives the best advice... what interests you and what are you planning to do after graduation?

Choppy said:
- What subjects have you most enjoyed so far?
- Have you done any extra-cirricular reading, and if so, into what fields?
- What areas do you find most interesting?
- If you are not planning on pursuing graduate studies, what are you planning to do with your education once you have it? Perhaps orienting your classes towards picking up some marketable skills will provide you with a few more job options once you graduate.

Well... i do not know which subjects interested me more. (i found them all equally intersting). what i liked most is doing experiments. to be honest, i choose physics because i wnted to invent smthing that is useful. but now, i hardly think that i may be able to invent smthg.

What should I concentrate on during my research?

The specific topic or question that you are trying to answer should be your main focus during your research. Make sure to clearly define your objectives and stay on track.

How do I choose what to concentrate on?

Choose a topic that you are passionate about and that will contribute to the field or solve a problem. Consider the availability of resources and the feasibility of your research.

Should I concentrate on a specific area or have a broader focus?

It depends on your research goals. If you are trying to solve a specific problem, a focused approach might be more effective. However, a broader focus can also lead to new discoveries and insights.

What if I get stuck and can't concentrate?

It is normal to encounter roadblocks during research. Take a break, seek advice from colleagues or mentors, and try approaching the problem from a different angle.

How can I maintain my concentration during long research sessions?

Make sure to take breaks and stay organized. Set small achievable goals and reward yourself when you accomplish them. Also, make sure to stay physically and mentally healthy to maintain focus.