Projectile Launchers: Exploring Onagers for School Projects

In summary, an onager would be the ideal device for launching a projectile using a non-metallic elastic solid. It works by storing energy in a twisted rope or cord and releasing it through a lever arm, allowing for greater force and distance in the launch.
MST4me
1. I have a school project that requires a device that can launch a projectile, using a non-metallic elastic solid (rubber bands, wood, plastic, etc.)

3. Would an onager be the correct machine to use in this?
I'm new to the forum so sorry if I'm not posting correctly! :)
I've been researching onagers and they sound as though they would be the right thing, but I've been unable to find any information about where they actually get their power from. I'm familiar with how trebuchets work (done some projects on those). Is the onager the same basic idea, just with an extra piece to stop the arm so as to obtain more force?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, an onager is the correct machine to use for this project. An onager is a type of catapult powered by a twisted rope or cord made of animal sinew, hair, or other materials that can store energy when pulled and released. It works similarly to a trebuchet in that it also uses a lever arm to launch a projectile, but the onager stores more energy due to the extra piece that stops the arm. This allows it to launch the projectile further than a trebuchet and with more force.

I would first like to commend you on your thorough research and interest in exploring onagers for your school project. Onagers, also known as mangonels, are ancient siege weapons that are similar to trebuchets in their basic concept of using stored energy to launch a projectile. However, there are some key differences between the two that may make an onager a suitable choice for your project.

One major difference is the power source. While trebuchets use gravity to provide the force for launching, onagers use torsion, which is the twisting of a non-metallic elastic solid (such as rope, sinew, or animal hair) to store and release energy. This makes onagers a unique and interesting choice for your project, as it utilizes a different mechanism for launching projectiles.

In terms of construction, onagers may also be easier to build for a school project as they require fewer materials and are less complex than trebuchets. However, it is important to note that onagers may not have the same range or accuracy as trebuchets, so it's important to consider the requirements of your project before deciding on the best machine to use.

In conclusion, an onager can be a suitable choice for your school project that requires a device to launch a projectile using a non-metallic elastic solid. Its unique power source and simpler construction make it an interesting and feasible option. I would encourage you to continue your research and experimentation to fully understand the mechanics and potential of onagers. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is a projectile launcher?

A projectile launcher is a device used to launch an object, or projectile, into the air using a specific force and direction. This type of device is commonly used in science experiments and projects to study the effects of different forces on the trajectory of a projectile.

2. How does an onager work as a projectile launcher?

An onager is a type of catapult that uses torsion, or twisting, to launch a projectile. It consists of a flexible arm attached to a frame, with one end of the arm secured to the frame while the other end has a sling or cup to hold the projectile. When the arm is twisted and released, the stored energy is transferred to the projectile, launching it into the air.

3. What materials are needed to build an onager projectile launcher?

The materials needed to build an onager projectile launcher may vary, but typically include wood, rubber bands, screws, and a cup or sling to hold the projectile. You may also need tools such as a saw, drill, and screwdriver to assemble the launcher.

4. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile launched by an onager?

The trajectory of a projectile launched by an onager is affected by several factors, including the angle of launch, the force used to twist the arm, the weight and size of the projectile, and any external forces such as wind or friction. These factors can be manipulated and studied to understand how they impact the path of a projectile.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an onager projectile launcher?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when using an onager projectile launcher. Always wear safety goggles and make sure to launch the projectile in a clear and open area, away from people and objects. It is also important to follow instructions carefully and use appropriate force to avoid any accidents or injuries.