Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One black hole sucks another?

1. May 24, 2010 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Is it possible? How far should the less massive black hole be from the massive black hole in order to be sucked wholely in the massive black hole?

any articles addressing black holes interaction between themselves?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

The original question can be treated as a question of a large mass interacting with a small mass. It is possible that the small mass will simply orbit the large mass, just like a planet around the sun.

4. May 24, 2010 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

However, all orbits will eventually decay due to the emission of gravitational radiation.

5. May 25, 2010 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Isn't there a place in the event horizon where everything inside it will collapse gravitationally?
    I am wondering what if another less massive blackhole were inside the event horizon of another massive black hole, what the interaction would then be like.

6. May 25, 2010 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  7. May 25, 2010 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Thanks, Steve.
    So I see it's still an open problem...

8. May 25, 2010 #7
    The simulations that come out of research in Numerical GR would seem to indicate a merger of the event horizons, with gravitational radiation being emitted as gravitational waves. In no simulation or model does one "slip inside" the other or break apart.

9. May 25, 2010 #8

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

When the horizons begin to merge, I believe we consider it to be one deformed black hole as opposed to two descrete objects.

10. May 25, 2010 #9

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well yes. If we define a black hole as the interior of an event horizon, then this is necessarily true (if you define "begin to merge" as when a common horizon is formed).

11. Jun 3, 2010 #10
    black hole can destroy them self when they interact whit each other, there are other possibility too like merge,,one gets kicked out of orbit

12. Jun 6, 2010 #11

:smile: Wow! Be sure to read the entire document. I found a big surprise in there!

:bugeye:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook