One block pushing into another

• Thread starter zoner7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, two cubic blocks with masses of 6.70 kg and 18.4 kg are in contact on a frictionless surface. A force of 112 N is applied to the left block at a 30.0° angle upward, causing it to push on the right block. The direction of the force from the right block on the left block is directly to the left, and the magnitude is 71.1 N. The problem can be solved by finding the acceleration of both blocks combined (3.86 m/s) and using it to calculate the force of the right block on the left block.
zoner7

Homework Statement

Two cubic blocks are in contact, resting on a frictionless horizontal surface. The block on the left has a mass of mL = 6.70 kg, and the block on the right has a mass of mR = 18.4 kg. A force of magnitude 112 N is applied to the left face of the left block, toward the right but at an upward angle of 30.0° with respect to the horizontal. It causes the left block to push on the right block. What are (a) the direction and (b) the magnitude of the force that the right block applies to the left block?

Potential answers for a:To the left at an angle 30 degrees down. To the right at an angle 30 degrees upwards. Directly to the left. Directly to the right.
The answer is directly to the left.

Answer for b: 71.1J

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

(I'm going to ignore the y-direction as it does not matter).

I made some free body diagrams and determined that the left block had forces Fcos(theta) - N acting acting on it. I set the acceleration equal to 0.

I said that the right block only had a positive N force acting on it. After setting the acceleration to 0, I realized that something was seriously wrong. How could the normal force be 0 in one equation but Fcos30 in the other

Thank you in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since when does the y-axis not matter?
a) Newton's third law states that every action has an equal reaction in the opposite direction. What will this tell us the direction of the force from mR on mL is?

b) Why did you set the acceleration to 0? This would mean that there is no force at all, this is where your problem arises. You know that the force on mR is the same as that on mL. Therefore you only need to calculate the force of one of the masses and omit the other. I can see you know how to do this.

Don't the forces in the y directions just cancel? On block R, N - mg = 0. On block L, Fsin(30) + N - mg = 0...

Following this logic, I wanted to conclude that we should then first only examine the x component of the force on block L. This force would push the two blocks together, causing them to exert normal forces on one another. I figured the the normal force of block R will push back on the block L in the opposite direction that the x-component of the force onto block L was applied. Since the x component is applied directly to the right, it stands to reason that the normal force of block R would push directly to its left.
by the way, I'm not saying that the external force and the normal force are equal and opposite pairs.

b)... I guess the net force will be greater than 0... hmm. makes sense. I'm so used to finding the magnitude of one force to counter another, resulting in constant velocity.

sounds good. I'll try the problem. Thank you

Yeah, you make decent points, but you still shouldn't ingore that dimension. I'm not sure, have you done the principle of transmissibility?
If so, the same line of force is acting through the entire block (rigid body). Therefore it is not simply a y force acting only on the left block and an x force acting through on the right block.
Consider this, you have two blocks touching each other with a lot of friction in between , by lifting up one block and pushing it towards the other block at the same time, the other block will lift up a little as a result won't it?

Your second post is getting closer. The y direction doesn't really matter. The component of the y direction force is about 56N, which is less than the weight of the block on the left. If there were friction, this y component force would reduce the force of friction, but the problem stated the surface is frictionless.

There is acceleration in the x direction. There is a net force on the two masses and no friction. So they accelerate as given by X component of applied force : (97N) = (ML+MR) a. Find a which is 3.86 m/s. Thats the acceleration of both blocks combined. To find the force from the block on the right take F(right) = MR (3.86m/s). That will get you your 71.1 Newtons.
Dr Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
shouldn't the force that the right block applies to the left block be negative since it opposes the motion of the left block in the positive direction?

1. How does the force of one block pushing into another affect their motion?

The force of one block pushing into another affects their motion by causing the blocks to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force. This is due to Newton's Second Law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What factors determine the amount of force needed to push one block into another?

The amount of force needed to push one block into another is determined by the mass of the blocks, the surface area in contact between the blocks, and the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are on. These factors affect the magnitude of the force required to overcome the resistance and move the blocks.

3. Can one block push into another without any external force?

No, one block cannot push into another without any external force. According to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, an external force is required to initiate the motion of one block pushing into another.

4. How does the angle of the force affect the motion of one block pushing into another?

The angle of the force can affect the motion of one block pushing into another by changing the direction of the force. If the force is applied at an angle, it will have both a vertical and horizontal component, which can result in the blocks moving in a different direction than if the force was applied directly perpendicular to the blocks.

5. Can one block push into another indefinitely?

No, one block cannot push into another indefinitely. Eventually, the force of the pushing block will equal the resistance of the block being pushed, and the blocks will come to a stop. This is due to the conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.